Saturday, January 24, 2009

Twilight

I finally joined 2008 this week and read Twilight, the first in Stephenie Meyer's vampire series. Did I like it? Well, it's not that simple...

Here's what I liked:
- Bella, the main character, and Edward, her vampire boyfriend are generally kind to each other. Edward is chivalrous and respectful, for the most part, towards Bella.

- The book plays up restraint as being just as attractive as giving into temptation. Not sure how long this will last in the series. But in this volume, at least, the sexual tension is well-written, and that's enough.

- There is a focus on personal choice to determine the type of character someone has, not just circumstance. Bella respects Edward for what he has chosen to be, not what he was "born" into.
- Bella is productive at home, smart in school, and never "plays the dumb card" to get attention.

Here's what I didn't like:
- The story was just so much of the same thing. Girl meets boy. Girl thinks boy's a vampire. Girl pursues relationship despite vampireness. Nary a subplot. Is anyone really this one-dimensional?

- Edward is a little too perfect, to the point that he's not believable or attractive. He's smart, he's gorgeous, he knows every word to every song on the radio, he's fast, he's strong, he's a brilliant pianist, he's an excellent driver (there's an air of magic even when he's speeding), he's protective, he's a good kisser, he's loyal, and on and on and on. I mean, give me a break. I know we all strive to be great partners, but no one is this good at it. Come on.

- Bella's dad seems totally clueless. Who would let their daughter out to play baseball with her boyfriend in the woods in the middle of the night? Who would let their daughter drive hours away by herself to a huge city she's unfamiliar with? I think he loves her, but he needs to get a clue. He's a cop, for pete's sake. Pay attention!

I got to the last page of the book, rolled my eyes a little, and put it on the nightstand. And then woke up this morning wondering what happens next.

So there's that - I got drawn in, even though I didn't love it. I'm with Kelley -- this was good, but not sure what all the hype is about.

I'll probably watch the movie, though. :)

5 comments:

merritt said...

Wouldn't you be perfect at everything if you were hundreds of years old? :)

I'm glad you read it. It's fun to at least read something mindless. Watch out for the 4th one. I'm not obsessed with Twilight, but I'm not as disappointed as you and Kel, yet even I thought #4 was over the top. But fun to read, nevertheless.

Neil said...

This is a strange thing for a woman who has a separate room in her house so that her husband can sleep all day and not have to go out into the light to say. Weren't you always attracted to this vampiric part of Mark's identity?

Erin G said...

hey I'm not saying vampires aren't sexy, or even that edward isn't... he's just TOO perfect. part of what's fun and sexy about vampires it the air of mystery and danger. notsomuch with edward.

and he sleeps down there ONLY when he's on night shift, by HIS choice. not even a little bit related to my semi-attraction for vampires. and by vampires I mean brad pitt and tom cruise. :)

Marmie said...

I've read them all, and I think what I liked best about them says it all......
It was easy to put on the nightstand at the end of each chapter and go to sleep.

mary cham said...

i totally disagree! i can not just put it on the nightstand! i stayed up til 2 in the morning reading these books and i'm thirteen! this is not good for my health. whatsoever. eclipse is way better though, but breaking dawn is really boring me. like REALLY. glad we had dinner tonight :)