Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Class of 2025

Okay so Nathan will be done with kindergarten in a few days I am trying not to, like, feel all the Feelings. Actually I would like to feel all the Feelings, but the past few weeks have been a whirlwind and maybe why I am sad is that it's all rushing up on me and I don't have time to process. I want to savor this! Because next year he is off to a big public school, all day, and then it's forever and suddenly he's eighteen and moving away to college and I feel mildly panicky.

The children I met when I came to Raleigh (like Mary) who were children back then, are now graduating and going off to college. And suddenly I'm realizing that all you people who said when Nathan was born, "you'll blink and he'll be in kindergarten" and were right about it will probably also be right about the fact that I'll blink again and he'll be in college. See? Panic.

Anyway.

So in an attempt to avoid (or embrace) all the Feelings this week, we have been making the most of the last days of the school year. Like I said, savor.

Nathan had his end-of-year kindergarten cookout today. It was quite the event, with a slip & slide (three guesses how Nathan felt about that) (it involved a running start and then crawling from one end to the other on all fours, while noting that it was too wet and slippery ummm yeah buddy that's kind of the point) and a sno-cone food truck and tons of games and music.

Ryan and Nathan -- friends since the month they were born

sno cone truck!

with Finn and Chloe, two of his favorite friends
(they have a triplet, Auden, who jumped out of the pic.
he loves Auden too.)
He also got his final report card (straight A's!) (well, his school's equivalent) and last batch of schoolwork sent home, and it is all just so precious I almost can't stand it.



Oh! And one last end-of-year thing. Mostly for the grandparents, probably, but here is a video of Nathan's final choir festival (festibal) for the year. I'm so glad he yawned right when I zoomed in on him.


(If you can't see the embedded video, click here to watch on YouTube.)

So, yeah. Kindergarten is ending.

The class of 2025 doesn't seem very far.

All the Feelings.

3 comments:

Grandma Fetsje said...

I think you saw that all wrong. He wasn't yawning, just singing Looooooooooooord ;) Precious children!

merritt said...

Now that Finn is nearing the end of his first year of preschool, I'm starting to understand that whole panicky thing and don't-blink advice. Amazing. Sweet Nathan is growing up.

marmie said...

Bittersweet, but I LOVE how he is growing up!