Saturday, April 19, 2008

This Post is Brought to You By the Letter N

You'll find that aside from one picture, this post actually has very little (read: nothing) to do with the letter N. Hope you're not too bummed.

A few various updates:

1.) One of my college roomies, Kristy, was here this week. I'm almost over the fact that she once thought it would be a good idea to play 'Climb Ev'ry Mountain' first thing in the morning so I could hear a more pleasant sound upon awakening than the beep of an alarm clock. (Are you now singing along with the Mother Abbess in your head? ...you're welcome.) So we had a fun few days. Kristy's way too humble to make a big deal out of what's been going on with her (like her medical missions to Africa, her bone marrow donation, or, you know, her M.D.) but I want to just say for the record that she's become a pretty amazing woman. We've all got our demons to battle, and she handles what life throws at her with the poise and grace we expect, along with a blend of humor, crazy and love.

2.) Here's one of Nathan's 8-month pictures, taken several weeks ago. He was very into this block during the entire session. Apparently I need to buy blocks. :)

3.) My dad just got back from visiting my brother in St Croix, and Mark is at the beach this weekend for his brother's bachelor party. I am green with seashore envy and desperately trying to find a way to combine our upcoming swim in Charleston with a few days of beachy vacation. Anyone have a place they want to rent to us for a couple of days?

4.) This family in India (friends of friends) is attempting to potty-train their daughter before she's 1 (she's 5 months now). Apparently, that's normal where they live. You have got to read this post - the story and pictures made me laugh out loud, which I don't do all that often at the computer anymore, since sudden noises are verboten when the babe is sleeping.

5.) Another blog worth mentioning (shared by Kristy) is called Stuff Christians Like. If you have ever found humor in the goings-on of your church family, you need to read this. (If you think it's horrid to laugh at ourselves about the things we do with and for our churches, please don't click that link.) These posts are so funny and so true (if not at your own church, then surely at a church you know... most of them bring back memories of my life as a church youth). I haven't read all of them yet, but my favorites so far are Watching Jon & Kate Plus 8, Lock-Ins, Youth Sunday, the pray-if-you-feel-led prayer, breaking up after a retreat, the bait-and-switch, and refusing to make songs you can slow dance to. If you only click on one of these bajillions of links, please make it this impossibly cute video about child-like faith (part of the post on pimping your kids from the pulpit).

6.) I realized recently that Nathan will (probably, depending on what the state of North Carolina ever decides about the right age to start school) graduate from high school in 2025. Doesn't that seem futuristic or something? I can't decide whether it makes me feel young or old.

7.) Earth Shattering News. Today, Nathan fed himself a banana from a mesh feeder. At first, I groaned at the introduction of what will surely be a messy toddlerhood. But then I realized that for the first time in almost 9 months (well, 18 if you count the pregnancy... and I do), my son has received nourishment by himself. Meaning without the help of my breasts, hands, placenta, or any other body part (except when I put the food in the feeder for him, duh). Meaning I could get something else taken care of while he had his feeding needs met. (Although of course I didn't actually get much done, since I was so excited I busted out the camera to make a video, and then promptly called my mom to tell her about it.) It might not look like much here as words in a blog post, but I assure you that my world feels sort of upside-down. I'd like to stop and thank God for giving such wisdom to the person who invented this feeder mesh thing. Somewhere on the spectrum between nursing and finger foods, it looks like I will have 5 minutes to unload groceries. And for that I am truly ecstatic.

4 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yay! for the mesh feeder!!! We found one here not too long ago and I can't wait to use it! Mango season is right around the corner, I think mangoes would be good in it - yum! (but probably REALLY messy! haha!)

Great pic with the block - i love it!

Thanks for your baby food input! I need all the help I can get! :) Aashini has become quite the food moster lately... she quit sleeping (was only sleeping 3-4 hours a night) and wanted to eat almost every hour on the hour... so we talked with the doc and decided we needed to start food - and it worked! Since we stared feeding her, she's slept 8 hrs a night! whoo hoo! - ok, so that was a way-too-long-post ;) haha!

Your post was great! :)

Kelley C said...

The block has a N on it so there's a connection!

Love the mesh feeder. I honestly think one of the most freeing milestones was when Kiran could completely feed herself. I could make her food, cut it up or whatever, give her a spoon or fork and that's it. I felt like I was given hours of my life back.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah for self feeding!! I am heading over to check out that church blog. It sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

Baby Nathan is my grandchild.......he likes bananas....... :)

next for my other favorite food.......sweet potato, mashed, in the mesh feeder?