It's longer than the sprint triathlons he has done before, but not as long as a half-ironman or anything.He swam 1500 meters, biked 40 kilometers, and ran a 10k. I wasn't there, but he says it was a success! He finished, which was his goal, and he really enjoyed the scenery along the way. (The race was alongside a gorgeous mountain lake, and the run was partly on the Blue Ridge Parkway... which might have been easier to appreciate without the hills!) And he got back in time to play at all three church services in the morning... which just sounds exhausting to me!
This triathlon is part of the TrySports Development Series from Set-Up Events, which is designed primarily for beginner and novice triathletes (like us), so it's supposed to be more about fun and less about ueber-competitiveness. (But I find that even normal triathlons tend to have a fun, encouraging air about them, especially for first timers.) So if you're interested in doing a real legitimate tri in North Carolina, but are put off by all the professional and sponsored athletes, you should check this series out.
If I can get my act together and plan logistics better for next year, I would love to do Lake Logan (any volunteers to come up there with us and hang out with Nathan?)... but I need to whip my butt in shape to ride 40k on my bike!
Congrats, Marky! I'm proud of you and you just got at least 2% hotter.
2 comments:
Wow. Go Mark! I definitely couldn't do that.
Congrats, Mark- I SO wish I could have been there to holler for you! Add training to parenting AND marriage AND working AND church activities AND everything else you do is quite impressive. You have my love and respect.
Post a Comment