Saturday, April 25, 2009

Brunch With Nathan and Simon

It has finally happened. That monumental moment in every toddler's life. The one parents dread but reluctantly submit to because we know there's really no avoiding it. Yesterday, Nathan ate dog food.

The latch on our dog food bin has been broken for a while (since before Nathan's time). It's sort of a miracle none of the beasts has figured out how to open it up until now, actually. But Nathan proved the worth of his human-over-canine brain when he did get it open, and I looked up from the den to see him and Simon sitting on the floor in the kitchen, crunching away on a mid-morning snack.

I realized too late that I should have gotten the camera or the video camera, that letting them stay at it for two more minutes wouldn't really hurt anything. But the "no that's naughty" side of me kicked in and I nipped it in the bud right then and lost the photo op.

But the whole thing did remind me (again) of what good buddies these two are. So I hunted through our family pictures and realized we have a plethora of Nathan and Simon. (Bowden seems to always be lurking somewhere off camera, far enough away that Nathan won't try to do anything dastardly like pet her or something.) And this little trip down memory lane made me smile. Hope it does you too.


Napping together - October 2007 (4 months)


Playing on the bed in the study - December 2007 (5 months)
An earlier version of brunching together - July 2008 (1 year)


Snoozing on a road trip - September 2008 (13 months)


Waiting for Daddy to come home - October 2008 (14 months)

And if you find any good deals on dog food bins with working latches, do let me know.

5 comments:

Marmie said...

A boy and his dog..........
and a dog and his boy..........

EMU said...

So cute! I love all the pictures!

ashley said...

Haha, that's awesome!

Mary said...

You know, so many toddlers eat dog food (I think I did!) that I wonder why nobody has thought to market kibble that's good for both kids and dogs, something parents could buy for when their kids are little. Although that might just make the kids habitual kibble eaters!

Dad said...

I watched Heath Garris consume an entire meal out of dog food on a scout camping trip once--just to show off...and he turned out okay, or maybe not--maybe it's an omen. I think it's funny...and if it doesn't hurt the dog it won't hurt Nathan.

New dog food brand: Nathan's Nuggets