Thursday, November 5, 2009

Night with the Gals

Two of my college roomies were in town earlier this week. Emily lives outside Asheville, and Betsy lives in Washington DC... and they both just happened to have stuff going on in the triangle during a week when Mark is off and willing/able to take care of both children so I could have some grownup time. I know -- what are the chances of all those stars aligning?? Needless to say, I have been excited about this for a number of weeks.
When we asked Nathan who this was, his first guess was Jesus, then Noah, THEN Betsy. We're not sure what to make of that. Does she look like a Biblical leader to YOU?
I have seen Betsy a lot of over the years since we graduated (most recently this summer when we took Nathan to DC), but I hadn't seen Emily (who has been living in various places all over the country) in forever -- since the summer I got married, I think. And Emily has always been good for my ego, because for some reason she finds me funny even when other people (ahem, Mark) do not.
Emily, Betsy and me.


Anyway we went out for dinner and drinks and besides the server calling me fat ("Should I bring three forks with this dessert or just one? You two [looks at Emily and Betsy] don't seem to have big appetites"), it was an awesome evening. And I have to be honest and say that the bottle of wine was kind of awesome too. My first post-pregnancy grownup drink. Ok, drinks.
I love being with old friends when we can just pick up right where we left off. And laugh a lot. These ladies and I have so much shared history that we will never run out of things to talk about.
And I think it's healthy for me to be Erin instead of Mommy, even just for a few hours.

6 comments:

ashley said...

Sounds like fun! I'm so glad you're not one of those Smug Marrieds. :)

And by the way, no matter how full I am or how much "real" food I left on my plate... I am always THAT gal who insists on having my own dessert. They can judge all they want... :)

EMU said...

Oh girl. Server did NOT do that. Not okay...I hope he/she got nooooo tip.

Didn't realize you were roommate with Betsy and Emily. How did I not know you at Furman???

Neil said...

I don't know why anyone who depends on the generosity of others would say something like that. Glad you got a girls' night at least!

merritt said...

Sounds so fun! That's a great picture of you girls.

Kendra said...

dang. what happened after she said that? I think my new plan is just to stare at people who say or do ridiculous things like that.

Erin G said...

I don't think she MEANT to call me fat, but I love that you people are all horrified on my behalf. Since it was MY birthday and technically MY free dessert, I think that's why she directed the one-spoon-or-three question at me. But still. It was a dessert SAMPLER for crying out loud, and Emily is the one who chose it. YES WE WANT THREE SPOONS.

(I still ate about 75% of it, not gonna lie.)