Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cruise Top Ten Countdown

I promise I didn't go on a cruise last week just so I could come back and write a list about all the awesome things from our trip.  But.  I'm totally going to do it anyway.  Hey, it's different this time.  It's a backwards list.  A countdown, if you will.  (What? That's different.  It is.)

Here we go.

10.) The turquoise waters of the Caribbean.  Every time I'm in the area, I'm amazed that the ocean really looks like this.  I can't count the number of times I see water like that on tv or movies or in magazines (or during wii swordfighting... yeah I said it) and think to myself how awesome it would feel to be in it.  I was almost giddy about swimming every time I got to jump in.

9.) Cape Canaveral.  Before we left for our cruise, we spent two nights in the Cocoa Beach/Canaveral area.  We hit the pool.  We hit the beach.  When that got rained out, we hit the space center.  We had a dinner date and saw a movie.  What makes an awesome date day even better?  A space shuttle.  True story. 

8.) My new flip flops, purchased in Florida before we left, from a surf shop containing a downright orgy of flip flops.  Yep, they're ridiculously cute.  (And yep, I shaved my legs.  For the first time in ten months.  Hey, vacations make us all do crazy things, right?)

7.) Lounging on the ship's deck.  The wind, a book, some tunes, a beachy cocktail, being surrounded by water on all sides.  Perfect, perfect way to enjoy summer.  In the sun or the shade.  :)

6.) Awesome food.  Seriously, this is why people go on cruises, right?  Great food.  In copious unhealthy unlimited amounts.  Steaks, seafood, amazing soups and sauces and desserts.  A server who would only let us choose the entrees he knew were stellar (no, seriously).  Also, this trip we had the best dinner company we've ever had on a cruise.  Four other couples, all close to our age, all easy to talk to.  Our dinnertimes were great.

5.) Inflatable water toys.  There was an awesome little aquapark in the ocean at Coco Cay (our first port of call).  We climbed on rafts and slides and trampolines.  No, we are not too old for that, thankyouverymuch.  (Also some stingrays swam right up to us while we were playing... so cool!!) 

4.) Nassau.  Hands down, the best cruise port of call we've been to (and that's a lot, since our honeymoon cruise stopped in like eight places or something completely insane).  The markets were neat, and there was so much more to see than just the typical kitschy port shops.  A whole legitimate city.  With a fort!  And a round library! And a governer's house atop a hill with a lax enough security guard to let us talk our way onto the grounds! Pretty churches!  Interesting colonial-style houses! And a beautiful gorge and staircase (former escape route from pirates) carved into a hillside.  Nassau FTW.

3.) Goombay Punch.  I was in the Bahamas with my family as a child, and I have spent the last twenty however many years remembering this tropical pinappley drink with a smiley face on the can.  It tasted so good.  I was crazy excited when we went into a grocery store in Nassau (yes, I always go to grocery stores in foreign countries, it's an odd point of interest for me in new places) and they had this can! With this smiley! And it tasted exactly as good as I remembered!

2.) Cocktails housed in fruit.  There is something about being served a beachy cocktail with an umbrella, in a pineapple, that makes it at least three times as awesome as a regular old drink by the pool.  A frozen cocktail served in fruit is a very big part of going on a cruise.  For me anyway.

1.) Mark.  By far the best part of our trip was getting to hang around with Mark for a week.  We swam, we played, we kissed, we danced, we talked, we slept late... we just really had fun together.  Our trip was exactly as tropical and relaxing and romantic (and cheesy) as we thought it would be. What's not to love?

Man, is my husband awesome.  And man, do I love vacation.  :)

7 comments:

Sarah D. said...

Yay for great vacation! Did anyone else notice how Erin and Mark's clothes match in almost every picture... Is that what happens after you are married for more than 7 years???

Betsy said...

Yes, I too noticed that y'all matched! :)

No wonder you're love-drunk! Looks like an awesome trip! I am SO glad y'all did this. I'm working up the nerve to plan something like this for us in the spring!

I love to go to grocery stores in places other than here at home. I've only been out of the country twice (to Aruba both times) but I loved visiting the grocery stores there. I've always thought it was cool how the grocery stores were unique even in different parts of the US. Like NJ stores are different than CA and IA ones are different than FL ones... I think I must be a dork. ;)

Loved the post and love the Goettsch's!!!

Neil said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm sure Mark's vacation was made much better by having you there too!

Erin G said...

haha Sarah!! Yes, Mark and I commented on that several times throughout the week. Awkward wardrobe planning/packing on my part. Pretty sure we're not old enough for that. I hope, I hope. :)

Betsy - then I am a grocery store dork right with you. And I don't reserve it for just foreign lands either -- NYC had some great grocery offerings too! And hey if you decide to plan something this spring, you know where to turn if your kids need to be houseguests!

Neil - aw. :) (But I'm not arguing with you.)

Emily said...

I like that idea of visiting foreign grocery stores! And that first picture looks right out of a magazine.

Roxann said...

I think you guys are so lucky to have all the family around that helps out so much. Earl and I have had one night alone in 10 years. (yep, you read correctly) and I wish we could go off on our own for a few days too. Looks like you had a blast!!!! :)

merritt said...

Looks fabulous! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!! Good luck getting back into the real world....