I should preface this by explaining that the governor's granddaughter is in Nathan's class, so having the party at there isn't that bizarre. (I spent some time going between whether it's really cool or really eyeroll-worthy, and I decided it's a healthy dose of both.)
It was a bit surreal to just pull up to the gate and tell them I was there for a... preschool party? And have them check our names on the list and buzz us on in. Usher us to park right outside the house, and tell us just go on in the front door when we're ready.
Whoa.
But we did, and it was beautiful inside and after we traipsed (and with three kids and bags and car seats, I do mean traipsed) through several fancy parlors, we were outside on a gorgeous porch and they had the lawn all set up with tables and play stuff for the kids. This is what it looks like when you have a preschool party at the governor's house:
Once we were there it was pretty down to earth. Basically the kids just raced around and played. They ate some fruit and crackers and chick fil a (and sushi for the grownups, obvs) and then did some group activities with a big parachute. Mostly standard fare for a preschool party.
Most surreal moment -- when I was herding kids around for a class picture, the governor talked to me about singing in choir! Also when we were leaving, she hugged Another Nathan and called him by name (I'm certain she recognized him from his visibility at church, regardless of nametag) and thanked us for coming. If she had only kissed Charlotte it would have been political perfection.
After we had traipsed back through the house and into the car, Anneliese had to pee. OF COURSE SHE DID. So I walked back through the front door of the Governor's Mansion, asked about a bathroom, and (like anyone would) took a couple pictures once we were in there.
![]() |
| fancy ass paper towels in the bathroom! |
And in some rooms on the way back out.
And right when I thought we were finally ready to go, I realized I had forgotten Nathan's water bottle (he had asked me to fill it up) in the fancy bathroom, so I went back through the front door of the Governor's Mansion (a normal thing to do at this point?) and went to collect it.
And took one more picture -- the main entryway to the house. This is what's behind the front door I traipsed in and out of a thousand times in one morning.
See? Regardless of the news recently, the great state of North Carolina does some things right. Thanks for the party, Governor Perdue!







4 comments:
I am officially jealous! I think a preschool party at ANY Governor's Mansion sounds awesome!!
This is the most awesome post ever. Ever.
So freaking awesome! The party. The bathroom paper. The spy pictures. Everything.
So cool! You're hangin' with the big dogs now. Next time you and Bev party together please steer the conversation towards public school teachers.
Fun!
Post a Comment