I know full well that at preschool, for grandparents, at church, for sitters -- she's generally compliant and manageable and happy and, well, easy. But at home, every day, especially every morning when she and I are both barely awake, dang if she doesn't try my limits. Test them. Push them. Push past them.
I have tried a healthy handful of times to write a post explaining the madness, but none of them is exactly what I want to say. It's too critical of her yet too defensive of her. Also, too critical of me yet too defensive of me. I'm scared I don't know how to be blog-honest anymore. I don't know when it happened* but I don't like it. So while there probably aren't great (yet still guarded) words to explain how frustrating Anneliese has been lately, for some reason I sure want to try anyway.
She's just... into everything. Drawers she shouldn't be in. Grabbing things from other people's hands. Slamming doors just to make noise. Hitting siblings, seemingly just to hear them shriek. Emptying clothes from closets. Into everything.
But unlike Nathan before her (who was easily corrected with a warning, a reminder of the rules, and follow-up consequences), Anneliese is incredibly and proudly defiant. She doesn't care about consequences. Punishments don't upset her, and we can't seem to find a toy or privilege that truly bothers her to have taken away (even Hattie!).... likewise one that as a reward is enough to motivate good behavior. She just. doesn't. care.
It's maddening.
I tell her fifteen times to do any one thing. And I know, I KNOW, that's not good parenting. I know that telling her a hundred times just teaches her that she can get away with not doing it the first ninety-nine. But I also don't want to teach her that if she doesn't do it the first time, *I* will do it. So I find myself telling her to put toys away, to put her shoes on, to climb into her car seat, over and over and over again before she finally does it. And I don't know how to stop.
There's also the story of how she and I got locked into the closet in between the girls' bedrooms last week, for almost an hour. In the dark. In the heat. With a diaper full of poop. While I was glasses-less blind and post-shower naked. Which would be a funny story if it hadn't been so panic-inducing (no seriously, there were tears and panic) and if I weren't so overwhelmed by the string of naughties that led to the situation in the first place. (It involves lots of lock/door manipulating to try and foil her attempts to bust into Charlotte's room when they're both supposed to be sleeping which she does all the time; clearly our efforts backfired in a big ol locked-in-the-closet way.) (And in case you were curious, I CAN scream loud enough to wake a sleeping five-year-old through three closed doors, but I am NOT strong enough to break down even one of those doors on brute strength alone, nor am I crafty enough to pick a lock with random things I found in the closet -- pieces of my childhood telescope or the strings of a guitar. MacGyver fail. Sweet baby Nathan for the rescue-win.)
A sign of how far the frustration has come: when I wash my hands in the bathroom, I feel angry. Just the smell of the soap, which Anneliese finds and makes a mess of several times in any given week, triggers angry overwhelmed feelings. My hand soap smells like anger. This is so not okay, to feel like this.
Sure, I can remove the things that cause her worst offenses (remember the markers?) - but for everything we remove/take away/hide, there's always something else to get into. Aside from living alone with Anneliese in a padded room, I don't know how to prevent this particular into-everything brand of naughtiness.
She's stubborn and persistent and determined. I think this will serve her well later in life, but damn if it doesn't make her a difficult toddler in the meantime. Can she really not control her impulses? Because I think she can. She's almost three! But I don't know if this is normal toddler stuff, or if she's acting out, or what.

Sometimes when the hard mornings have passed and she crawls in my arms and snuggles, and makes her thumb-sucking praying hands, like she has done since she was an infant, I just want to kiss her hair and cry a little.
Oh sweet Anneliese, I don't know what you need. I don't know what I need.
What I do know is that I hate it's so hard right now (for you too!) and that I love you more than life itself. We'll figure it all out somehow.
*Yes I do.
6 comments:
I love you so much. All of you. I wish I could kiss all y'all's hair and make it all better. I totally would fix all the naughtiness and the sleeping and the crying and even the soap smell if I knew how. I think just keep loving her the best you can, and wait for the next phase.
Also, if/when you figure it out, let me know... I fear Liam will be the same way. Kthx.
Oh, I miss you. I've been thinking about you all week, wondering how you are these days. So glad to see a string of new blog posts. Love Nathan in his choir robe. LOVE him! Will be praying for you & Little A. xoxo
Wish I could come for a visit... I'm sorry it is so hard. I'm sure it is even more frustrating that she behaves at school because that does suggest that she can control her impulses. I wish I had some kind of wisdom to share, but I don't know - sounds like you really have tried everything. Love you.
Not that every child is the same...BUT...Anneliese sounds an awful lot like Annabel. Even down to the making a mess with soap. Anyway, I complained to a friend about how Annabel is always so good with others but with me, she's a literal mess. She told me that actually sounds like a great combo - Annabel is learning and understands the social boundaries, and applies them, but at home is learning through curiosity and pushing those limits, which just makes her smarter and understand more. I held on to that all of year 2.
Then year 3 hit. And miraculously, a new Annabel emerged, one with more self-control, one that followed the rules even with me. One that I suddenly was able to trust by herself. So here's hoping Anneliese will do the same! Because girl I totally know how hard that is!
It goes back to that insight from theour young family's Chapel Hill days........That you (YES YOU) had a spell of being delightful with everyone else but whiny and uncooperative at home......You knew to be on your best behavior with "others," but felt safe showing your butt at home because you sensed, you knew, that your parents' love was unconditional.
Anneliese gets it, too.
Y'all's sweet comments mean more than you know.
And Emily I *love* hearing about how Anneliese is like Annabel! Your sweet girl is one of the first internet babies (you know what I mean) to capture my heart. She's a cool kid and I like the idea that our girls are similar!
And for what it's worth, the last week has been so much better with Anneliese. She's making a liar out of what I told the internet about her! (I think the fundamental issue is ATTENTION. Obviously?)
Post a Comment