Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In Which Ashley and I Sound Craftier Than We Really Are

My sister came to visit for a few days this week (and brought Anneliese home with her! finally! YAY!) and it ended up being good to have her here -- the unbloggable work drama continues, and Mark and I were glad for a distraction. Especially one as fun and funny as Ashley. (I mean, not that I'm not the funny sister. I totally am.)

Mostly we lazed around the house which probably isn't super exciting for her but is a nice change of pace for me (I am terrible about hyper-scheduling us, even with "fun" and "relaxing" things. I have to plan to stay home or I won't ever stay here and just be).


But in between our lazing we did do a couple of summer bucket list things, like... painting the driveway with chalk paint.

Wait that sounds way fancier and craftier than is is. We mixed up cornstarch and water and added food coloring. And gave the kids dollar-store paintbrushes. And let them have at it.
if you look past the kids you'll see the *really* cute part of this pic --
my colorful pretty new flip flops. #piorities
(pretend you don't notice Liam's shoes mmmkay?)


So yeah that was a fun and easy way to kill an hour. Done and done. (We recommend doing it on a sliiiightly less muggy day, or maybe when you're not five months pregnant.) (Have I mentioned Ashley is pregnant again? I have another nephew on the way!)

Also we finally made our dirt pie with worms. Gummy anything would have tasted weird with pudding and cream cheese and oreos, but hey the worms looked cute, and the pie part was actually kind of tasty.
my next career will be in food photography
It was much better cold, right from the fridge, than after it had been out for a few minutes. (I like a denser texture for that sort of thing.) The recipe was pretty easy with kids, too. The secret ingredient is letting Liam take a bite of every oreo before he puts it in the food processor.

(Hey, people know what they're getting into when they eat food at my house.) (Also, toddlers, food, feet, counter, eh whatever.)

Whoa yikes, sanitation score aside, I just made our week sound way more crafty-cooky-planny than it really was. Y'all know we aren't Those Moms, right? Full disclosure. I mean, we also went out and drank beer and played trivia one night, to be clear on what our Type really is. Well, Ashley didn't drink beer, you know knocked up and all. But I did. And I got carded. Which is irrelevant except to say WOOO HOOOO.

(I used to roll my eyes at "grownups" who were flattered to get carded but now I don't care, so I repeat: WOO HOOOO.)

2 comments:

merritt said...

You sound very crafty, and considering you MADE A's awesome owl costume last year, you might be turning into THAT CRAFTY MOM! oh.my.word

:)

ashley said...

Such a fun weekend! (Weekdays? Weekday-ends?)

Thanks for having us!