Friday, December 12, 2008

First Steps!

So, it turns out our hunch was right, 2008 is indeed (after all) The Year of the Walk! Nathan took his first steps tonight, at 16 1/2 months old. Yaaaaay Nathan!

My friend Sally from church mentioned that her grandson had a particular push toy that he loved when he was learning to walk, and suggested Nathan give it a try. I thought, why not? Can't hurt, and if it already has a real toddler's (as opposed to a catalog's) seal of approval, then Nathan might like it too. And like it he did. It lights up and has a play phone on it (who doesn't need a phone in a push toy?) and playes Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in bell tones far more often than any parent should ever need to hear it in one day.

This afternoon was the first time we gave it to him to play with, and he pushed and pushed and pushed for almost an hour. An hour. That's like, a lifetime in toddler years. When he got to a wall and couldn't turn around, he would just stand there and sey "help please" (hep-eez) until we'd come and get him... typical Nathan), and seemed very pleased with himself.

So then tonight we brought dinner (African chicken peanut soup, since you asked) to some friends from church who had a baby on Monday. And then Nathan totally stole the show from new baby Sam and big brother Gordie by taking his first steps. Thankfully the new parents (being new parents and all) were right on hand with their camcorder. So... congrats to Neil and Betsy, and THANKS for the video footage!!


[Ed note: I just got the video today, 12/16, and he has not really done any walking since then. So maybe this will be the year of the step instead!]

17 comments:

merritt said...

Go, Nathan! It's great that you got it on camera, too!

Anonymous said...

Great video! Can't wait to see you guys, maybe he'll be cruising around when we get to raleigh and we can see the motion in action!

Anonymous said...

That's fabulous, Erin! And fun to see it on video. Great job, Nathan. Now your mom and dad won't get any rest, will they? Woot! Woot!

(It's so exciting that I'm practically teary. Seriously.)

Neil said...

That is exciting Erin, I love that soup. Seriously though, congrats!

Anonymous said...

How do you know it's playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and not the ABC song? Hmmmm...

I'm extremely happy about the milestone and am sooo glad you caught it on camera!! Yay Nathan!

Kelley C said...

Way to go Nathan!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, those were steps alright!!! And relatively stable! He is a great crawler, so he doesn't feel the need to walk. Hang in there, he is a cutie.

Have a very Merry Christmas and pretty soon you'll be wishing he couldn't run so fast! They do tend to get away from you when you least need that to happen! Enjoy.

Jan

Anonymous said...

Yey, Nathan! My daughter had a toy bug that she could push and walk behind.I'm sure it helped her learn to walk. Enjoyed the video. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Yay Nathan!

Thanks for sharing! Your life as parents just took a huge turn---it will never be the same!

Merry Christmas to you!

Fran

Anonymous said...

That was the cutest thing ever! So glad you got it on video!!!! (I showed the people at work, I hope you don't mind. Your baby has become a star at the Children's Home.) Yay, Nathan!

Anonymous said...

YEA, NATHAN! Thanks so much for sharing this great occasion with us! There's no stopping him now...

Merry Christmas (thanks for the card & donation to the Red Cross - great idea)! I know it will be exciting at your house.

Love, Nell

Anonymous said...

Totally too cute!!! Merry Christmas Erin, Mark and Nathan.

Anonymous said...

Too cute for words! Thanks for sharing, dear Erin.

Anonymous said...

I can already see his drive, Erin. You'd better watch out (and not because Santa Claus is coming to town)! Merry Christmas! Meg

Erin G said...

mary - yes, I was holding back tears, too... I managed to keep it in check at our friends' house (we don't know them THAT well, honestly), but I lost it as soon as we got in the car... my little boy is growing up! so proud of him!

neil - yes, we never make that soup without telling the story of how you licked out the pot the first time we fixed it. :) we can make it for you again next week, if you're eating chicken these days.

ashley - I wondered which song was intended, too, and in hindsight it's probably the ABC song since the toy is covered in letters and numbers. but twinkle twinkle is (if this is possible) less annoying than a string of letters running through my head. so I've convinced myself it's twinkle twinkle.

thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Just had a chance to see the video this morning! Thanks for sharing.

Way to go, Nathan. I’ll bet he’ll walk more before 2009, Erin. The video brought back memories of Hailey’s first steps in our Raleigh house when she was 13-1/2 months old. She went back and forth in a triangle between her two grandmothers and her Aunt Lynne, and got positive reinforcement just like Nathan did!

Anonymous said...

That's my baby Nathan!!! I love how proud he looks of himself- you've said it- a real seeker of praise!