Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baby Shower for Mommy and Beanie

My awesome friend Jenny hosted a shower for Beanie and me at our house this weekend. You might think that because it was at our house, it would mean I had to do some of the hostessing work, too.... but nope! Really -- I just got to relax, recover a little bit from my exhausting week, eat ridiculously yummy chicken salad, visit with friends, play games, and open gifts. Jenny either did or delegated everything else. Amazing. Also, she's the kind of friend who knows I would always rather have brownies than cake. Everyone needs a friend like that.

We played that typical baby shower game where guests have to take a piece of yarn and cut off what they estimate is the circumference of my belly. Can I just say there is no way to play this game without someone calling me fat? Or a whole lot of someones??? Honestly, my sister and my (very dear friend who took care of Nathan and me all weekend, so I won't complain) Sarah both held their arms straight out in front of them to estimate my belly size. Straight out in front of them. Wow. I'm knocked up, but I'm not that huge. When I put my own arms out in front of me, they extend well past my belly. I promise. Well past. I did get to ask a few of them "Are you calling me fat?" (you know, my trademark phrase) and make them deliciously uncomfortable, though, which was fun. :)

I got a whole lot of girly stuff, which I am very excited about. Outfits, and things to add to Nathan's handed-down nursery bedding to make the room a little more feminine, and lots of diapers and baby gear. One of my favorite things was a beautiful little elephant lamp, which I will post pictures of as soon as the nursery is more set up (should happen in the next week or so, I hope, I hope).
We also got a good laugh out of some pajamas which looked like they had ribbons in the, um, nipular area... but it turns out they were lower than we thought at first glance. Before we figured that out, though, we laughed so hard we cried (thanks, Oma!)... well, Ashley and I did anyway. Not sure anyone else really gets our sense of humor.

And speaking of Ashley, this picture of the two of us with Nathan is, I'm pretty sure, my favorite pic from the shower. Barbara took it (and all the pictures, I think) right after Nathan woke up from his nap and made his appearance (wearing his Big Brother shirt) at the shower. He was mighty happy to see Ashley when he opened his eyes, and also happy to see his Grandma and other friends when he joined the gathering. I think he might have been a little too sleepy to deal with both Ashley and me right after his nap, though, as you can see. I'm sure his daddy (and most of the rest of our family) can attest to that feeling! He wasn't too overwhelmed to open a few big brother presents, though (grandparents think of everything). Even though I am still recovering a little from last week, and spent most of the afternoon leaning on my hip with my feet propped up, it was a very fun day! Thank you to my friends and family who came and who sent beautiful things for me and my daughter-to-be!!


For more pics from the shower, click here.

6 comments:

EMU said...

Oh yes! I loved looking my 4th graders right in the eye and asking them if they were calling me fat whenever one of them was brave enough to tell me Baby Blueberry was getting bigger. Poor kids.

And I love love love that I guessed the same day as Marmie and Grandpa B (whoever that is, but he sounds important!). And I am thrilled that I get to be emu on the list of guesses, while everyone else has to go by their names. I am so special.

Erin G said...

hey I'm respecting your online identity. I try to do that for people as often as I remember. :)

Grandpa B is my dad. He has two guesses, so only one of them matches yours. It's the same one that matches my mom's. You know, the woman he divorced. I decided not to point out explicitly that they still must think alike on some levels. :) ::evil grin::

EMU said...

Got'em!

Betsy said...

I love that pic, too!! :)

Sounds like an awesome and very special shower!!!

Where did you get Nathan's big brother shirt? I'd like to get one for Isaac pretty soon so he can wear it to the hospital when Elise arrives. YAY!

:)

Erin G said...

betsy - it's a carter's shirt, I think from last year. I got that one at kohl's (did you even need to ask?), but I think it was on the clearance rack.

merritt said...

Looks like a fun shower! Can't wait to see pictures of the nursery!