Thursday, May 6, 2010

Simon, 2004 - 2010

Our precious little sweet Simon died on Tuesday.
We had to put him down, after a flash-flood of g/i and pancreatic problems made him very sick very fast, and several rounds of testing and supported care (hospitalization for iv fluids, nutrients, meds) and ultrasound results yielded several significant problems, but no clear answers on diagnosis or prognosis. We just didn't have the resources (nor did we think it was fair to him) to keep keep keep searching for answers through invasive surgeries and significant recovery periods. So we made the awful horrible painful decision to let him go.

I think it was the worst day of my adult life. Maybe my whole life.

I think before this happened, I thought I knew what it would feel like to lose him. I mean, we all know that we will probably outlive our dogs, right? And I have said good-bye to pets before (most significantly, my childhood pup Domino, who died when I was in college). But this is the first time, for both Mark and me, that the weight of the decision rested on our shoulders. Because he was our baby. A pet that we loved not just as a childhood playmate, but as only a parent can love a creature so dependent on us. And it turns out I could not have been more wrong in assuming I would know how that would feel. It was so much worse. So, so, so much worse.

I have spent the last two days walking around in a fog. Nothing in my new Simonless reality seems normal, but at the same time... everything else is normal. Anneliese still has to be nursed. Nathan still has to practice peeing on the potty. Laundry still has to be washed. Kids still need to be picked up from school and brought to appointments. Weekend plans for a houseful of guests still have to be finalized. Mark's music for church Sunday morning still has to be learned. The groceries scattered in the kitchen from when I rushed to the vet after shopping still have to be put away.

I spent most of Tuesday afternoon just wanting to yell at the world to please stop turning, everybody just stop. For just a minute. I need to get my head together. But... the world doesn't stop. So I clung to anything that would distract me, anything that would let me be in denial for just a few hours more, clung to messages from the friends who knew that's exactly what I needed in that moment... and I went through the motions of my life. In a fog.

We got a flood (seriously, a flood) of emails and phone calls and texts from people who wanted updates on Simon, or wanted to let us know they were praying for us, or that they knew how much we loved him. These messages all made me cry and I just couldn't make myself reply to everyone. I didn't want to talk about him, or rehash our painful decision, or relive that agony. But know this: all those messages made us feel loved. Very, very loved.

Our vet estimated (based on his human age and his weight) that Simon was about 35 in human terms. Not a puppy, not a senior. Way way too young to have to say good-bye.

Yesterday afternoon, I was thinking through some of my favorite Simon memories, and it turned into a list. Here are 35 happy things we remember about Simon -- one for every "doggie year" of his life:

1. Napping in the car with Nathan on road trips. 2. His baby teeth flying all over the den when Bowden pulled toys out of his mouth -- seriously we found teeth for days after that. 3. Meeting my mom's dog Mackie when they came to help us paint our new house, and humping her all weekend (Mackie, not my mom, duh). 4. His SuperSimon dog tag that never failed to get compliments. 5. Eating the sheetrock in our laundry room -- I kind of never want to fix it now. 6. The countless number of times he raced and busted out our front door, whether or not it was latched, whether or not it was locked. 7. His first Christmas when he got a candy cane rawhide treat stuck on his paw, and he ate it off. 8. Jumping into the dishwasher to find food scraps. 9. Defending his turf when another dog came in the yard while he and Nathan were playing together outside. 10. Snoozing at my feet (and on my feet) while I worked. 11. Curling up with Nathan on the bed in the then-study and both of them snoring the morning away. 12. His precious feet. 13. Backpacking with Daddy a few weeks ago. 14. Jumping up on the bed after Mark left for work in the mornings and getting some good snuggles in before the time came to start the day. 15. Sitting square on Mark's chest on the couch. That's right -- bum on chest. 16. Camping with Mark and Bowden and me, so exhausted and wedged between our sleeping bags for the night. 17. Licking my feet while we watched tv in the evenings (hey, one man's gross is another's awesome). 18. Swimming in the lake and being nervous enough to grip his legs around me like a human baby would... until I pulled us both into a raft to relax. 19. Digging like crazy in the sand at Cape Hatteras, sending it flying everywhere. 20. Roaming free in Umstead Park on hikes with Mark -- except when they needed to cross a creek on a log, when he was so scared that Mark had to carry him across. 21. Sitting on the front porch waiting for us to come home. 22. Jumping on mom's desk when he was a puppy, and in her tub, and snacking on her toiletries. 23. Riding along in our neighbor's kayak while they accompanied me on training swims for St. Croix. 24. Racing around my mom's five acres of land with all her dogs -- for Simon, it was just a big dog park. 25. Sleeping flat on his back with his legs up in the air. 26. Putting his front paws up on the counters after meals to give us a head start on cleaning the dishes. 27. His refusal to give up the old ratty stinky dog bed that he loved from puppyhood, and sleeping in it even when he didn't fit inside anymore. 28. Running berserk at our Raleigh dog park, in circles and circles and circles. 29. Following Bowden around like the lovesick puppy he was, even before she learned to love him back. 30. Following Nathan and enjoying that he always loved him back. 31. Crying so loudly when he got his nails trimmed that people at PetSmart thought we were torturing him.32. Napping on the air conditioning vent in Nathans room, not wanting to leave even when it was Nathan's turn for a nap instead. 33. Jumping directly into our laps when he thought we might be leaving him somewhere, without any regard to the fact that he was too big to be a lap dog. 34. Carrying his favorite blanket (actually a huge comforter) backwards up the stairs, so he could sit comfortably at the top (his favorite place) and keep an eye on everything going on in the house. 35. The many afternoons he spent so regally sitting in our yard, basking in the sun and watching over his home and domain.He was a good boy. Such a good boy. We will miss him so much.

20 comments:

Betsy said...

I am heartbroken for y'all. We had to make the same very difficult decision regarding our cat Noel a few weeks ago. It was a very hard time for me, so I know what you've been through this week.

This was a beautiful post and tribute to Simon. It's obvious that he was an incredibly special pup and had a life full of joy and adventures with the Goettsch family.

Prayers are with you!

Megan said...

Such sweet pictures and memories about Simon. I'm so sorry you had to make this difficult and painful decision. Dogs are just so special, and I know you'll always remember the joy he brought you and your family.

EMU said...

Oh, Erin! What a great post! You have me SOBBING and I didn't even know sweet Simon. We are SO not made for death. Dang this fallen world. Blessings, sweet friend!

Neil said...

He was a beautiful, wonderful dog. I can't imagine how much you miss him. Love.

Fetsje said...

Beautiful pictures and memories of sweet Simon. It's always hard to lose a furry child.

TeeTee Lynn said...

Oh Erin, I am so sorry. I had a cat for 16 years that had to be put to sleep. It was so difficult. I am definitely keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

marmie said...

I don't know what to say- except I love you, and loved Simon, and wish I could protect both of you from hurt. Emotional and physical.

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin...I want you to know that even though Simon is gone from this Earth, he is waiting for you in Heaven. (as I totally believe that Porter is waiting me me) The hurt is horrible...I know. Just be comforted by the fact that he was such a well loved dog here on Earth...so fortunate to have a Mommy and Daddy and children that loved him so. Not a comfort now, but maybe soon it will be for you. Just know that you all are in my prayers. I just wanted to also share a Simon memory that I had. Him and Porter got along so well when I took care of him in Raleigh. He was so full of energy...I had blurs of little bodies just running around my house and humping each other. When I sat down on the couch at night, Simon literally ran up my body and sat down on my head...no not by my head...on my head! I actually did not know what to do, but let him sit there for a while, thinking...this is so Erin's dog! He was so sweet...my thoughts are with you. Your tribute to him was awesome!

Erin Halsey said...

It makes me so sad to read this. I definitely get that he was more than just a dog. I'm glad you have such great memories and pictures!

Katie said...

Thinking of you. Once you've lost a pet like this, hearing of other people's loss always brings a communal sadness and shared grief.

John said...

We're all sad that he is gone. Our thoughts are with you guys.

ashley said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, and for sharing Simon with us throughout his life. He really was a great doggy, and this tribute seals in the awesome memories. I love you guys so much and I hope your hearts begin to heal soon.

Kendra said...

This made me so sad, but then I read your 35 things about Simon and I laughed and smiled and I thought about how much love he must have felt from you. And the tears are streaming down my face. I wish I had something useful to say.

Jessi said...

Oh, Sweetie, God, I know how you feel. It hurts sooooo much. I love you. *BIG HUG*

Nicola said...

Erin,
I am so sorry for your loss. I've been through this type of loss three times in the past few years, so I know how it feels (and you've got me crying again). Your list is awesome and I can tell he was a very loved and special puppy (they're always puppies aren't they?).
I know I can't say anything to make it better at this point, but Simon was such a lucky puppy to have had such a loving family that cared enough to think of what was best for him, no matter how bad it is for you.
-Nicola

C. Nolan Huizenga said...

I get it, Erin. And I'm so sad for you all. Still, what a wondrous thing that Simon got to live his life with you, and that you and your family got to live with him. Such a gift of love in every direction.
With love, Nolan

Dad said...

We're so sad for you. I know you loved Simon very much, and he was really special with the babies. We lost Annie the cat the same day, but his death was no surprise...just a worn out old cat that fell asleep on the front stoop and didn't wake up. They were both happy pets that were loved very much. We love you.

Donna said...

I'm thinking of you guys. That is just so, so sad. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. This was really a beautiful post, and even though I didn't know Simon, he was a beautiful, lovely boy who was clearly very loved. It is beyond clear how much joy he brought to your lives, and how much you brought to his.

Emily said...

I am so sorry. This brings a flood of emotions to me as well, because our precious Chini died of acute pancreititis while in India. I totally sympathize - to date, that is the saddest thing I have ever experienced. No matter what people say, we lost a member of our family that day, and I bet that's exactly how you feel too. Over time, it stops hurting and you'll stop randomly crying, and then all the great memories are way more vivid than those last horrible days. Trust me!