Two dads, three little boys ages four and under, and ninety thousand other people (not an exaggeration). A recipe for... something. Right?
For the first six months of our marriage, Mark was finishing his senior project, so we made our first home together in Clemson. (I worked at a little sports shop and made important decisions like whether the t-shirts we carried should be orange with white tiger paws, or white with orange tiger paws. Oh yeah, I hit the big time in my first post-college job.) So I know firsthand how crazy Clemson is on game days. While the chaos can be fun, I'm secretly glad for a couple of days at home with sweet Anneliese this weekend, away from all the orange nonsense.
Anyway, on game days, lots of parents would show up in the store with their kids in tow, all decked out in orange, dressed up like little football players and cheerleaders and tigers, chubby cheeks painted with paws. They were cute. But some of those kids could finish the fight song (watch this) and spell c-l-e-m-s-o-nnnn... before they could even spell their own names. Little sweet
Obviously, we made fun of those families.
And apparently now we're one of them:
(If you can't see the video embedded above, click here to watch it on youtube.)
Happy game day. And, um... go Tigers.
5 comments:
Time for Mama to step up to the plate to spell
F-U-R-M-A-N and wear purple........and uncles and grandparent address the Tarheel concept, and two grandparents, an aunt, an uncle and a cousin start with the Davidson cheers. Even though there are close blood connections, I guess Appalachian, Georgia Tech, East Carolina, and Wake get slighted. Unless those graduates show some team spirit. Goodness, there is even NC State blood in this over-diplomaed family. It could be enough to make Nathan crazy. Then he could go to Michigan State.
you forget he's got michigan state connections too, in Grandma Cathy. :)
you're right, our relatives might be over-diplomaed!
also the only furman cheer I can think of that that involves spelling is something along the lines of "F-U all the time" and I'm pretty sure I don't want Nathan wandering around yelling that.
Ahhhh, our good ol' southern baptist university. ;-)
Mawahahaha! Love that he can spell Clemson before his can spell his own name. Awesome. Mark must be so proud!
Your comment above reminds me of the time I shouted "F-U all the time" when I introduced myself in front of the whole faculty at the school where I taught during back to school training. I can't remember why I did that, but good ole Furman would have been so proud of me!
Let the record show that as of this weekend (9/26) he can now spell his own name too. Kind of. Almost. (We're counting it.)
Post a Comment