Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Farm Deliveries

I don't think I've written about this yet, but halfway through the summer, I took on some tiny eeensy weeensy part-time work for the farm share we joined.  That's right, I'm officially gainfully employed again.  Weird!  (Right?)

It doesn't really feel like a real job, since it takes probably less than ten hours a week.  They set me up with an email address, and I answer questions from buyers and do some basic customer service stuff.  And once a week I deliver a carload of produce for the farm.  That's it.

So I spend most Wednesday mornings with my car looking something like this:
No, the kids are not buried under there, I can't believe you even thought that.*
I keep joking about how it's a good thing I spent all those hours in high school (of course not in class, mom and dad... ahem) playing Tetris on my calculator.  It means I'm kind of an expert at fitting as many boxes into my car as possible.  I secretly get a little pleased when I hit a new record (today! 40!) and regardless of the chaos indicated in the picture above, I'm usually very good at my craft.
Don't worry, the ones on their sides are the *empty* boxes! Don't you trust me at all?
Some weeks are a little hairier than others.  For instance, today I ran out of gas, killed** a squirrel, and also had some produce casualties when I thought that the car's hatchback door was closed properly and it wasn't.  But not every week is that exciting.  (Thank goodness.)

The farm's summer season ended today, but they'll do a fall season for buyers as well.  So after a couple of weeks off, I'll be back at it until Thanksgivingish.  And then, then, I promise to be completely unproductive on my Wednesday mornings alone.

*Although, in the interest of full disclosure on car/box safety, I did take this picture while driving.  But... at a red light!  That's not technically driving, right?

**Yes, the squirrel thing made me cry a little. 

7 comments:

EMU said...

Ha! I love that picture of your car! And I'm the KING of Tetris! I'll take you ON.

A'Dell said...

That is CRAZY looking! How many freaking deliveries do you have to make? Or do you drop it all off at one spot?

caroline@carolinecollie said...

I once hit a squirrel and cried. Are we related?

merritt said...

Reminds me of when my mom did Meals on Wheels when I was a kid and we went with her. Except we didn't have that many meals to deliver. And I didn't even know what Tetris was at the time.

Sounds fun!

(And sorry about the squirrel. At least once a week I practically kill one in my neighborhood. The other day I had to actually swerve my STROLLER to miss one. Dumb squirrels.)

Erin G said...

@emu - them's fightin' words, girl! (Also, I'm sure you could take me. Maybe not Mark though.)

@a'dell - yeah the fact that you just commented on my blog makes me feel a little validated by your internet fame. Just sayin'. (Also, yaaaaay!)

@caroline - um, yes, totally. where have you been?

@merritt - after living at furman for 4 years, you'd think squirrels couldn't get any dumber. Apparently Arlington would disagree. :)

Erin G said...

And then I got so distracted I didn't even answer your question. No, I drop them all off individually, mostly just people's houses. Takes a couple hours, but if the kids aren't with me (read: no screaming from under the boxes) then it goes ok. ;-)

Mary said...

Sorry about the squirrel, Erin. I've only killed one with my car, which is amazing considering how many dart in front of me on my way to work.

Nice box-packing skills. :)