I think I have said (more than) enough on the struggles of our almost-three-year-old last week, so now I will say this: she is having a much much better week, currently things don't seem quite as overwhelming as they sometimes do, and it's getting easier to remind myself that this just is a difficult stage that will pass.
And in the meantime there are some pretty awesome things going on too. Here are some of the best:
1.) She's funny. Anneliese is an outgoing chatterbox with an adorable perspective on the world. Oh, the sweet things she says when she has the time an attention to just... ramble. She will start conversations with new people, confident that others want to hear what she has to say (they do). She makes up songs (scarf scarf scarf, pink scarf purple scarf pink purple scarf) and is confident that we want to hear them (ummm). She tells us who she wants to be to be on any given day (a fishie! a princess! a tiny t-rex!) and then follows up with a series of look what I can do! while she showing us how whatever she's pretending to be would interact with the world.
2.) She's oddly (and defiantly) optimistic. She might pitch fits, but she turns around of them pretty easily. There's always something to be happy about. Just having new socks to wear will keep her cheerful for half a day. It's the small things, right Anneliese? And when she does things that are not allowed, she quickly points out that... it's fine. I woke up and it's still nighttime, but it's fine. Or, I ate this cookie for breakfast but it's fine. Or, I put my shirt in the potty but it's fine. (It's not always fine with me, but I have to admire her perspective. I think?) Even when things go wrong, she's a generally cheerful kid.
3.) She takes care of people. Carrying bottles and diaper bags for me, getting cups of water for Nathan, scooping out dog food for Bowden. Sure, she
4.) She's affectionate. She loves to sit close and snuggle. She races up with hugs and kisses when she sees someone she loves. And there is no one, no one, that she doesn't like to pray for. Bedtimes are a litany of people and things she has ever ever encountered, and giving thanks for them. She is generous with affection, this one.
5.) She's beautifully independent. She is determined to do things on her own, to learn new things, to try new things. She can dress herself (most days even without being asked) and take herself to the potty (and complains when we want to check up on her wiping, which is still necessary, no matter what she thinks). She gets her own snacks, chooses her own games, and (kind of) puts her own clothes in the right drawers. She can almost buckle her own seatbelt and walk herself to her preschool class. She's so much more independent than Nathan was at this age, partly because I probably babied him more than I needed to, but also because unlike him, she can't stand being babied. I love seeing her fierce little personality come out. She's strong. It's one of the best things about her.
You challenge us and delight us, Anneliese, and it's fun seeing the spirited sunny girl you're becoming. We love you so much. So, so much. Happy almost-three, baby Beanie.

5 comments:
I love my little Anneliese! Happy almost three, Little Miss Charming!
I love my little Anneliese! Happy almost three, Little Miss Charming!
Beautiful sweet girl. Happy almost Birthday! I love you so much!
Happy due date, Liesie Lou!
What a sweet post, amidst all the angst. :)
My girlfriends and I were talking about how kids swing into hard seasons at the "1/2 year" - so age 2 to 2.5 is good and then something happens and 2.5 - 3 is hard. Then 3 - 3.5 is good and 3.5 rolls around and it's hard again. I'm hoping that A is following this trend and you are entering a season of equilibrium with her.
Post a Comment