Do you think I will always remember that July 22 was supposed to be Nathan's birthday?
I spent so long (ok, only nine months... but it feels so long when you're knocked up) counting down to July 22, that it seems strange now to disregard it as just another Tuesday. I don't know whether I want to celebrate it or resent it. I think probably resent it. Instead of meeting my son last July 22, I spent the day reading Harry Potter (and racing through it, since I didn't want to be mid-novel and have to stop reading to push a baby out!), getting a pedicure (they say foot massage can induce labor), and -- after one trip to the hospital for a litmus test on leaking fluid (no dice, obviously) -- pretty much doing a whole lot of waiting around, avoiding the phone since the only question anyone was asking me was, "is he here yet?" (Yes, brand new grandparent. We totally had the baby, and he's home from the hospital now. Didn't we tell you? Doofus.)
So now that it's July 22 again, I think that Nathan is kind of already one. I mean, what day you pop out doesn't really determine how old you are, does it? The day you're created should determine how old you are. (My sister once told me that's how they do it in China. She's full of useful random knowledge like that.) The problem with that is you never know exactly when conception takes place (don't get me started on that 1950s 40-week wheel every OB nurse still insists on carrying around). But somehow I think a conception date (off of which the due date is based) is a little less random than a birth date.
Anyway, happy birthday to my baby, who is gestationally one year old today! (Or is he gestationally one year and nine months? Or one year and nine months, minus the two "pregnancy" weeks before conception? Yeah, I guess that's it. One year and 38 weeks, then. My head is spinning.)
4 comments:
Haha, you are too funny. Your posts always make me laugh. And Happy (Almost) Birthday to Nathan!
My friend from Bible study was six weeks late. I'm pretty sure her mom grew to resent that due date...or maybe the doctors since it's not a far cry that perhaps they calculated wrong. And she's Chinese, so I wonder how those calculations would turn out...hmmm...
yeah they don't let you go six weeks anymore! (thank goodness.) I think the official recommendation from the american association whatever baby-puller-outers is 2 weeks.... but my practice has a 10-day rule. they actually had already scheduled me for an induction (for august 1st, the 10-day mark) but I'm glad he didn't take THAT long!
haha! I totally feel ya... except I laugh at my due date (considering I had a 6 week old on that day) :) It does feel like a special day...
I'd say go ahead and count today as his birthday :) I have to do all of Aashini's charts and everything else based on her due date - so why can't you? :)
Happy-sorta-birthday little guy!
Post a Comment