Saturday, July 19, 2008

Facebook

I have been thinking about joining the Facebook generation. Mark joined a few months ago, and he has been connecting with lots of people from our former lives (like, in high school... or in Groningen). Which is kind of neat.

But he's also "connected" with some people we already know. Like... our siblings. Do we need an internet site to find our siblings? Really?

My friend Kristy said that I should join Facebook because then Mark and I could be married... on Facebook. But we're married in real life. Do we need to be married on Facebook, too? Again... really?

And my sister said that I should join Facebook so that Bowden and Simon can be friends with her dog, Rita... on Facebook. Really? Our dogs need cyberbuddies? After Simon traumatized baby Rita last year by hauling her up our front porch by the nape of her neck (not so much in a loving parental way, you should know), I'm not even sure they should be friends in real life (though they do get along tenuously when my pups visit Huntersville).

Lest this post start to sound too much like Andy Rooney, I should admit that I will probably set up a Facebook profile anyway. That's what happens when I have so many unfilled weekend hours stretched before me (Nathan is napping and Mark is working). Maybe once I get in there and play around some, I will understand what all the fuss is about.

And if I'm too old to do this, please don't tell me.

[update: I joined! Come find me!]

8 comments:

Kelley C said...

I held out for a long time too...actually until my friend Alicia made a profile for me. BUT I have to admit- its been really fun. I don't do a lot of the stuff on there- you are invited to be on April's Oregan Trail wagon- no. I just use it to connect with people and I've enjoyed that. So I'll be your Facebook friend.

And getting Facebook married takes your relationship to a whole new level.

Anonymous said...

I, too, was a Facebook holdout. Now that I have an account and a page, I find that I only check in about once a week. My favorite part is the Twitter-like feature, wherein you can tell your friends what mood you're in or what you're doing in a sentence. I also like that I can check in on my daughter's profile and see how she's feeling about things. I'm not so keen on the gazillions of third-party applications that people are always trying to get you to sign up for. There is a privacy weakness in these apps in that the developers don't have to abide by the same privacy rules that Facebook does, which means they can use your info however they like. I'm avoiding most of these apps until this changes.

Good luck on Facebook (and don't worry about sounding like Andy Rooney. He's a funny guy.)

Anonymous said...

I love that you're on facebook and that Rita can be e-friends with your pups! I avoid a lot of the applications because they're pointless but I have to admit... I've become addicted to Word Challenge (my internet crossword playing has suffered as a result).

Erin G said...

ashley - and after all that, I can't find rita!

mary - I can't find you either! there are too many mary warners in the world. can you find me? that way we can be facebook friends AND boggy friends! like you, I'm still not sure I understand all the hype... but there's some amusing stuff out there... some of those groups are hilarious!

kelley - since mark as of yet refuses to confirm our facebook marriage, I wouldn't say our relationship has been taken to the next level!

he did read this post, though, and was going to call me out on being crotchety like andy rooney until I just admitted it myself! :)

EMU said...

One, Kristy was on my freshman hall. Didn't know she was later your roomie.

Two, being married on fb means that your hubby will soon make it his goal to have more "friends" than you, but since you are clearly more popular he will never reach his goal. Oh what, that's just me and my hubby...

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Well, I don't think you're too old for it... my parents are even on it... which means that you should definitely be on it - haha! But reading this after I saw your friend request (which I've yet to approve b/c my computer keeps freezing up when I try to do it...)I can see you sucumbed to the pressure :) haha!

Erin G said...

liz - no, it's not just you and your hubby... it's us, too! (I'm winning.) And how did I not know that you and Kristy were on the same freshman hall? I feel like I should know everything about Kristy. I guess not.

SAR - yes, I caved. And for what it's worth, I'm enjoying myself. But I still prefer blogs when I have time to play around on the computer!

thediaperdiaries said...

I am a HUGE Facebook junkie. It has been so fun to track down old roomates and best friends that I lost touch with. One more computer addiction I will admit to.