Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Want to Be This Kangaroo

I was reading through some NatGeo posts this week, and I found this picture of a mama and baby kangaroo. Or maybe it's a wallaby. Is there a difference? Do I care? Nope. (It was taken by this person over at Flikr, if you want to see more shots from down under.)

For some reason this picture just resonates with me today.

Is it because Nathan spent all weekend feverish and rejecting me for Mark, and I am still craving the hugs and kisses I missed for several days in a row? Because my little boy is out of town again, visiting Grandpa this time while I work my tail off to tie up some loose ends before my last day on the job next week? Because my own mom arrived in Germany yesterday to undertake one of the greatest physical challenges on the planet (and certainly the greatest of her life), and I miss her and want to be with her? Because my own little Beanie is stirring inside me and (even though sometimes it drives me nuts and keeps me awake) it reminds me of how short this gestation period really is, and I want to enjoy carrying her in me before she's exposed to the big bad world?

I don't know.


But for whatever reason, I am feeling this kangaroo right now. Anyone else with me?

5 comments:

marmie said...

I hear you!! it must be the same draw that i have to my mother/baby stone carvings, stuffed animals, wooden interlocking puzzles.

Kelley C said...

I'm with you- because I'm weaning and it makes me sad to think that the first year is only 5 days away from being over. Where did my baby go???

ashley said...

I want a baby 'roo in my front pocket! I want a baby ANYTHING in my front pocket!

Betsy said...

I'm with ya, too, girl!! Especially on the how-short-gestation-is thing!! And then on how quickly they grow up and get all independent...

Kelley C said...

oh and a wallaby is just a smaller version of the kangaroo. That is def a kangaroo (thanks semester living in Australia).