Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Almost Two

A little interview with Nathan:


The word "almost" is of utmost importance here, because as we all know, Nathan is not two yet. Even though it's July 22, which means he should be two.

I was thinking that maybe after twelve more months had passed, I wouldn't still be carrying last year's due-date resentment. But.... no dice. I woke up thinking about it, and I'm thinking about it still. And I think about it every time Nathan tells me he's "almost two." Which... is a lot.

So today we went and had his two-month portraits made. And I cried (yes, at the portrait place) when I saw how much he looks like a big boy in all the shots. When I look at him in person, he still looks exactly the same as he always has, in a way (that's what happens when you see someone every day).... like my little baby boy. But now.... I mean, just look at him. He is officially not a baby. I don't think I could capture another "baby" picture of him if I tried. It's officially over. Welcome to childhood.

Although he favors Mark in most ways (so people say, I mostly just see Nathan), I am not-so-secretly pleased that he got my eyeballs. Gone are the baby blues of his infancy; now his eyes are grey with a yellow ring around the pupil (which makes them look fairly green at a glance), just like mine. I think Mark likes this too, he keeps mentioning it anyway.

Happy should-be birthday, sweetie Nathan! Only a few more days of being "almost two" to go!

6 comments:

Betsy said...

He is absolutely adorable, Erin! I can't wait to meet this little man in person some day!!! :)

It is amazing how they grow up and look like little boys overnight... sad, but happy at the same time...

I LOVE the two year picture!!!

Happy almost-Birthday Nathan!

Marmie said...

"Where's baby Nathan? Where'd he go?" (hands upturned with a quizical look on the face)

Dad said...

What a HANDSOME young man!

Megan said...

I love how he says "sister" with so much enthusiasm! So sweet.

Erin G said...

M -- I'm pretty sure that the enthusiasm is proof he has no idea what "sister" actually means!

Mary Cham said...

Erin, I have watched that video at least 10 times, and no, I am not kidding. He is getting so big!!