Saturday, July 11, 2009

A New Chapter Begins...

Yesterday was my last day on the job. I spent all day frantically tying up loose ends, filing (and trashing!) old paperwork, and then I drove my computer and all company property from my home office to the office-office.

And now I'm done. (Well, as done as I can be while waiting several more weeks for my last paychecks to come through.)

It was a harder day than I thought it would be. I never pretended that this was an easy decision, and indeed my day was full of mixed feelings. I even cried. More than once. As I told some of my work friends, this job was an educational and fulfilling chapter in my life (stressful though it was), and it's always hard to watch those doors close. But I still really have a sense of peace about resigning. The working thing, full-time or part-time, with kids (and no daycare) was hard... I tried it, I tweaked it several times to make it work better, and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it. But now I never have to wonder "what if?" I know "what if"... and... no dice.

I'm still waiting for it to truly sink in (it hasn't, despite a celebratory dinner with some people I really like last night), so in the meantime I am focused on the things I am really looking forward to over the next three months:

1.) Reading. My list is taking over my life, but I still want more suggestions. Email/comment with the best thing you've read this year, please.

2.) Playtime. I want to swim with Nathan, I want to run around the yard, and I want to build lots of big towers. And if I can steal some snuggles and kisses in there too, that would be rockin' awesome.

3.) Massage. I have a gift certificate from Christmas I still haven't used, getting a pregnancy massage is definitely in order.

4.) Movies. Harry Potter and The Time Traveller's Wife, to be specific. I honestly can't remember the last time I went to the movies. Maybe last summer to see Prince Caspian? Can't think of one since then.

5.) Nesting. I am so excited to get all my work-related stuff out of the study and really make it Beanie's room. I want to sort through all the stuff we have for her, figure out what we still need, and make a space that will be hers. Such a fun time in expecting a little one, especially for a type-A like me.

6.) Cooking. I have a special kind of cake planned for Nathan's giant cupcake at the end of the month, a couple more batches of sorbet for Mark before the weather cools off, several new dinner recipes to try, and the best part -- no job running over after 5pm and keeping dinnertime from happening as a family. I promise, Marky, we will be having lots more family dinners now.

7.) Highlights. And a trim. For myself and for Nathan too (ok he doesn't need highlights). My hair looks gross, y'all.

8.) Visiting. I'm having lunch with Jenny and my mom in Greensboro next week, walks planned with some friends here in town, pool dates planned with a neighbor, a road trip in the works for Kelley's birthday, and a long weekend in DC scheduled for Nathan's. And maybe we'll even find time for a zoo date with our old-and-new-again friends, finally! I know may days will fill up fast, but I am so looking forward to being free from a regular job, so that I can be intentional about how I'm spending my time, and who I'm spending it with.

Needless to say, I am very excited to start this new chapter. If you think of other fun ideas for me for the next few months, share them please!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

YAY! This change will be great for y'all! I'm excited for you, Erin!!! And, yes, that zoo trip would be so awesome if we can swing it before the babies come. :)

marmie said...

And time to breathe, and relax, and smile at nothing.
but I know you, you will stay as busy and frantic as ever. Guess you got it honest. Sorry, my dear.

merritt said...

Hooray! I'm thrilled that you are starting a new chapter. Scary as it is, it's also really exciting. Enjoy your time with Nathan and Mark before you become a family of four (plus the dogs!).

Kelley C said...

It sounds like you have lots of fun activities planned and enough space to just enjoy what life has to offer. Congrats on making the move! What's like been like since?

Erin G said...

k - I have actually had LESS time since last week, somehow this week got filled up very fast. I suspect you will tell me that's typical, and it's always going to happen. But even though this week was just as busy as past weeks, it FEELS better knowing I'm doing what I WANT to. There's something freeing about CHOOSING how to fill up my time. Since it will always always get filled up.

And I start Russian classes on July 29. :)