Monday, October 18, 2010

Playtime at the Landfill

We found kind of a fun little park and playground a few weeks ago.  I say "kind of" because... it's at a landfill.  Weird? 

And it's not sort of in the vicinity of the landfill.  It's at the landfill.  You have to drive around the landfill (all the way around) to get to the playground.  As you're playing, there's a huge hill behind you that is... the landfill.

I was trying not to be grossed out, because the playground is clean and new and has fun things like a kiddie rock-climbing wall, a big maze of ropes, and a bunch of slides and swings.  Pretty much everything I would have wanted in a playground when I was a kid.  (Plus mommy bonuses like picnic tables, lots of benches, and a clean place to potty.)  But really, it's still... at a landfill.

(Can you tell I'm having a little trouble getting past the landfill thing?)
Our tall girl, swinging... at the landfill
The kids didn't seem to care, though.  They had fun swinging and climbing (well, in the case of Anneliese, eating mulch while watching Nathan climb).  They went down the twin slides together (so stinkin' cute).  And they made a huge racket on this big musical wall (one of the cooler things at the playground, in my completely dork-biased opinion).  There were drums on one side, and big bell spheres on the other (you just swing the metal music notes to hit them.. it's not quiet). 
Two future band geeks... at the landfill
We spent our whole time playing and picnicking, although Mark was pushing hard to climb to the top of the landfill and look over the edge.  There were signs pointing us to an observation trail of some sort.  Um, ew. I don't think I need to observe all of wake county's mountains of garbage.  We'll save that for next time (read: next time I'm not there).

But the kids had fun playing together, and we needed a good family evening away from the house (this was post-flood, pre-robbery).  Even if it was at the landfill.

3 comments:

merritt said...

I feel like it should smell. Also, was there anyone else at this park? Just wondering...

Kendra said...

A park at the airport, a park at the landfill! Wow. The whole range!

Erin G said...

merritt - I know me too, but... it doesn't. And yes. :)

kendra - I know right. You should be jealous of raleigh. be very, very jealous. :)