Saturday, January 17, 2009

One Decent Thing About Cold Weather: Foot Muff

So.... I don't love winter. I should just say that up front. I really don't like being cold. Winter is dreary, it's dark, it just... blah. I am grateful to live in North Carolina where winters are mild and usually less than two months long. [Insert reader jealousy here.]

And actually, I don't even really like snow. Some of you will question my sanity in not appreciating a warm cup of cocoa, sitting curled up under a blanket with a picturesque view of our snowy street. Well, I can't appreciate it. Because I probably have to go out in it. And it will be wet. And gray. And all the stores and businesses will be closed. If they're open, they won't have bread or milk (which is what I would be there for, because like a true Carolinian I freak out at the hint of snow and feel the need to stock the pantry). And the whole snow day will be way more headache than fun. (There are no snow days when you work from home, by the way, especially when your company's headquarters is like ten states away.)

It's been colder around here yesterday and today than it has been in years. Someone said decades, but I don't know if I believe that and I don't feel like doing the research. Our high yesterday was 28. Stop laughing, Minnesota, that's cold for us and we generally don't own good winter coats or remember to wear them.

So anyway this week has been hard for me. Hard to get motivated to be outside and exercise, hard for me to get out from under my blanket on the couch, you know. But there has been a silver lining:

I am loving Nathan's new foot muff. I didn't even know what it was (well, what it was called anyway) until a short while ago, when I started coveting my neighbor's newborn version (with sleeves)... it's like a sturdy zip-up blanket for a kid in a stroller. You know, you see them in big cities when those trendy moms take their kids on the subway. Basically like a regular muff, but for legs and feet instead of hands.

Threads easily into my stroller!


So when I found this one online, I jumped on it. It's awesome. It connects easily into the stroller, either snapping onto the frame, or threading through a lap or shoulder belt. It's tall enough for even a toddler. And it doubles as a sleeping bag. (Or so they say... I can't really see how that would manifest, though.) First, it's really well made. And who doesn't love seeing a precious baby all bundled up in cute wintry gear? (This picture proves my point.)

The best part about the new foot muff? I got it -- with a diaper bag that I don't really need but whatever it came as a package -- for less than $17, including shipping.

So anyway I am loving it. And Nathan is, too, even though this picture doesn't so much show his wintry snuggly joy. It's there, I promise.

Want one? It's by Valco Baby, and it's too expensive to buy full-price. Email the nice people at Shnoop.com (where I got mind) and they'll tell you when they expect to have them in stock again for cheap.

6 comments:

Kelley C said...

He is snuggled in nice and warm! I should prob get one of those for my double jogging stroller....

Megan said...

I like snow for just one day- just enough time to take pretty pictures and watch my dog play in the snow.

merritt said...

Like I always say - the best thing about the cold is all the fun winter outerwear! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying about the cold and even the snow... I really do. I generally agree, until the excitement of a snowstorm starts buzzing...

... Then I'm just jealous that RALEIGH will get 6 inches and I woke up to just a dusting!!! I hope that Nathan and the pups enjoy the snow, if it actually gets there. :-)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

How could a Minnesotan not post with a comment like that? Our secret to dealing with cold temps is that we need some time to get used to them. In the fall, when it starts getting down to 28 degrees, I feel really cold. After we've had a month with a bunch of below zero days, 28 feels good. It's all relative. By late January, early February, we're all getting sick of the weather & bundling up. We want to get outside.

Anonymous said...

this really cracked me up, erin!! EVERYONE has one those here. :) as well as the rain cover for the stroller.