Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Steven Mauney is Why I Love Facebook

I'm not a Facebook addict like some of you. (Yes, Kristy, I am so talking to you.) But I do like it, and I am glad I signed up, after months of wondering if I was too old. It satisfies an itch to know what's going on with old friends, it's a fun way to see pictures and messages from current friends, and aside from the plethora of "yes we can" buttons [sigh] it's a great place to kill twenty minutes online when you have read everything in your Google reader. Twice.

Once in a while, Facebook will connect me with someone from my past who really gets me excited. Makes me wonder how we ever grew apart in the first place. (What did people do before the internet, honestly?) Steven Mauney is one of those people. He found me on Facebook last weekend and I spent hours reading his family's blog, exchanging comments with his wife online, and remembering all the reasons I ever liked and respected him.

He's a brilliant musician, he loves God, he has one of the best laughs you will ever hear, he is a great conversationalist (I would know, we spent lots of time carpooling to rehearsals together), and now he's apparently a top-notch husband and daddy as well. I actually remember the early days of Steven dating his now-wife, Betsy. I remember him telling me how awesome it was to date your best friend. Now, I know a lot of high-schoolers say stuff like that, but for Steven it was true... and I knew that because I was going through the same thing at the time.

So Mauney family, this one's for you. God works in crazy ways, huh? Three cheers for the people you may know finder! Anyone else have fun reunions of real friends thanks to Facebook?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel so honored by your kind words. Of course, all the praise goes to the Father. Everything good comes from Him!:-)

I'll certainly never forget all the great times we had in high school, especially carpooling to CYWE as you mentioned. We were able to connect in a lot of areas. Glad I found one of my real friends!

Betsy said...

Hey Erin!
Thanks so much for this super-sweet post!!! What an honor! :) We totally feel the same way about y'all.

(for some reason my reader didn't pick up any of your posts this week, so I didn't see this until today after reading your comment on our blog...) This post made our week!!!

God does indeed work in crazy ways, and I LOVE IT!! We can't wait to see you guys in person and reconnect the way people did when there was no Internet! ;)