Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"First" Milkshake

Last week, we decided to use some of the strawberry cider from our produce box to make milkshakes after dinner.  (Don't you like how we can take a healthy idea -- eating lots of locally grown fruits and veggies -- and always manage to turn it into junk food?)  It was a hot day, we had extra time before bed, and it just sounded really good.

And... they were really good.  Sweet and fruity and fresh-tasting, without all the seeds you'd get if you used the strawberries themselves.  Mark is an expert* milkshake-maker.

As far as I knew, this was also Nathan's first taste of milkshake, and he was a big fan.  He started out drinking it with a straw like mommy and daddy:

Then he drank out of it like a normal big-boy cup to get the last little bit out:
Then he stuck his fingers inside to catch some of his treat for Anneliese to lick off, after he saw me doing it and wanted to share some with her too.  (Which was very sweet of him, but also kind of gross. We didn't actually let him succeed.)
And then... I was informed that actually, come to think of it, turns out that... maybe he had some of Daddy's peach milkshake from Chick Fil A earlier this summer.  (Lucky for Mark, sheepish looks good on him.)  Hey at least I got to witness Anneliese's first taste!

Even though it wasn't really his first one, he loved it, and he's now latched onto the idea enough that we've been able to reward bribe him with shakes for things like pooping on the potty, or peeing in public places without his potty.  (Yes, we've upped the ante a little from yogurt raisins.)  Hey, knock it if you want, but it's working.  He pooped in the potty at church yesterday. 

I have a feeling this is going to be the summer of the milkshake.

*But don't ask me how he made them.  I have no idea.  And I intend to remain clueless, lest I be expected to start making them myself.  Until last week I didn't even know milk was required.  Seems obvious now, but... hey, like I said: clueless.

1 comment:

merritt said...

YUM! This makes me want to skip dinner (and I made the non-casserole Creamy Chicken!) and have a milkshake!