This, oh loyal blog readers, is my 500th post!* (I know at least half of you are thinking, "really, only 500? Sure seems like she's blathered on a lot more than that!" and yes, it's true. On both counts.)
I started posting here about the time Nathan was born, prompted by a combination of my new-mom giddiness and friends/grandparents clamoring for pictures and updates. So it started as a great way to keep people in the loop of what our family is up to, and share pictures and stories, etc. But then it turned into something more for me:
A way to preserve memories -- you think I would remember half the everyday stuff I went through as a mom if I hadn't fancied it blog-worthy and actually written about it? Um, no. Nathan dropping the f-bomb at church could be lost in the bowels of forgottenness by now.
A way to tap into my creative side -- not that it takes that much creativity to tell stories about my family, but sitting down and putting my thoughts into words is still a way to stimulate my brain. Making fun of myself (and my kids. and my husband. and my dogs) while rearranging html code for accompanying pictures isn't exactly what I would call artistry, but it's something closer than what I would have without this blog.
A way to reconnect with old friends and make new ones -- several friendships that had fallen by the wayside after high school and college were rekindled as we blogged our way through becoming mommies -- and those friendships are now stronger than they ever were. And some of them have introduced me to their friends, so now I have some online buddies that I also consider real life buddies. It's not creepy, it's cool. I promise.
I started posting here about the time Nathan was born, prompted by a combination of my new-mom giddiness and friends/grandparents clamoring for pictures and updates. So it started as a great way to keep people in the loop of what our family is up to, and share pictures and stories, etc. But then it turned into something more for me:
A way to preserve memories -- you think I would remember half the everyday stuff I went through as a mom if I hadn't fancied it blog-worthy and actually written about it? Um, no. Nathan dropping the f-bomb at church could be lost in the bowels of forgottenness by now.
A way to tap into my creative side -- not that it takes that much creativity to tell stories about my family, but sitting down and putting my thoughts into words is still a way to stimulate my brain. Making fun of myself (and my kids. and my husband. and my dogs) while rearranging html code for accompanying pictures isn't exactly what I would call artistry, but it's something closer than what I would have without this blog.
A way to reconnect with old friends and make new ones -- several friendships that had fallen by the wayside after high school and college were rekindled as we blogged our way through becoming mommies -- and those friendships are now stronger than they ever were. And some of them have introduced me to their friends, so now I have some online buddies that I also consider real life buddies. It's not creepy, it's cool. I promise.
So in honor of my 500th, here are some of the top posts from the last three years. These are the best (or most-read) from each month of this blog... well, pretty much each month... it's not an exact science, people. Whoever remembers the most of these happening in real time gets an award** in the form of bonus Erin-loves-you points.
2007
7/29 -- my first post: Nathan is Here!
9/29 -- projectile vomit in Target: Amo a Mama
10/19 -- we love charts and graphs: Type A: He Gets it Honest
12/13 --remember when he only slept this way? Touchdown!
12/31 -- apparently knowing the end of Harry Potter was second only to becoming a mom in this banner year: Year in Review, 2007
2008
1/2 -- I failed on all five: Resolutions With Careless Abandon
2/14 -- a cyber/sexting story: Happy Valentine's Day!
3/30 -- not too old to fall off our bikes: Our First Tri
4/7 -- why I don't shave, ever: In Defense of Leg Hair
6/25 -- Mark's non-battleship injury: Softball... Hard After All
7/2 -- hilariously dumb: How to Register Your Baby for Rehab
7/28 -- Mark's awesome (terrible) singing: Birthday Injuries
10/17-- Nathan's fake laugh: "What's That?"
11/8 -- Nathan drops the f-bomb at church: Fork, or...?
12/12 -- it's about time: First Steps
2009
1/1 -- number 3 came back and bit me in the uterus: 2009 Resolutions
1/20 -- you thought today was about Obama? Nathan's First Snow
3/2 -- going blog-public about Beanie: Ready or Not, Coming This Fall
4/17 -- forgotten at church: I Shouldn't Be Allowed to Have Two Kids
3/27 -- this is amusing to me now: How I Decided Not to Cloth Diaper
6/14 -- the real memories: Un-Obituary for My Grandpa Schnack
7/28 -- such a Rule Follower: Nathan Loves to Brush His Teeth
8/26 -- pregnancy is never not degrading: Toddler & the OB's Potty
10/13 -- welcome, Anneliese: Happy Birth Day, Beanie!
12/21 -- toddler mug shot on a tree: Worst Ornament Ever
12/30 -- she got her beauty from me: Like Mommy, Like Daughter
2010
2/22 -- clearly I get my crazy from my mom: Space Bags
3/19 -- cloth diapering confession: I'm a Fluffymailaholic
4/13 -- although words can't describe it: Half-Birthday Love Letter
5/6 -- a piece of my mommyhood, gone: Simon, 2004 - 2010
6/14 -- apparently you people love Crazy Mark: Hup Holland!
So if you've been reading forever, or just a little while, stop working for half your day, and join me in re-living some bloggity memories! Or, you know... bookmark it and come back later. Whatevs. I *heart* all you readers anyway. You make me feel loved. (Especially when you comment. Just sayin'.)
*Since Mark wrote a (very) few of these 500, so I guess I should say our 500th post.
**Ashley already wins, by the way. Those of you who have met her know that she always wins in these situations. Also I think she's the only one who's been reading since the very beginning. Just wanted to give the rest of you a fair warning that you're competing for second place at best.
7 comments:
I remember all these! Although technically, I think I started reading a few months after you started blogging, but I went back and read the old entries at that time.
I was just remembering the other day about being called a snarky blogger. Oh, good times!
I think I remember almost all of them. I'm proud of what you've put together here. Your family will always treasure it. You're a beautiful writer!
I've been here from the beginning and we've rekindled our friendship AND I've introduced you to many of your new friends. So there. Beat that.
Didn't you have some blog entries on another blog site before Nathan was born?
Oh, and I actually do remember each of these blogs. :) Of course my favorite of these listed here is the one on Birthday Injuries (Mark's droning voice).
I think my favorite of them all is when Nathan says "go." That's the first time I heard him talk!
I don't remember when I started reading, actually. I remember that you did have another site, though.
Your blog is SO fun to read. It's so Erin, and I love that. I feel like you are sitting next to me telling me exactly what you have written.
How do you know each of those posts is the most popular? What are you using to figure that out? I want in. :)
yes, yes, I did have a livejournal account (how do you people REMEMBER that??) -- used more for commenting on other people's posts than for writing any updates myself (when I did, it was mostly to b*tch about work or fill in my one friend who was helping keep me accountable to my training plan for st croix in 2006. I think posted like 10 things there, total, over several years. But hey I commented a lot on other people's posts!!
ok kelley, you're a close second (we've established Ashley is the predetermined winner, right?) :)
ashley -- yep, this post/video is one of my favs, too. we captured a moment in time that day, and we didn't even know it.
merritt - aw thanks. :) and, sitemeter. I don't understand much of anything in the report it sends me, but I know which ones have the highest numbers (and which ones got the most comments, of course). apparently google analytics is also doing something, but I couldn't tell you what. someone want to teach me GA? emu?
I have been reading off and on for quite some time, but only learned to comment since the delurking blog (from you AND merritt) - Sorry!
In the past 6 months, I have become one of those people who checks your blog EVERY day, and if there isn't a new one i am very disappointed. Love it. I'm with Merritt - i love that it makes me feel as if i am sitting next to you listening to you tell your stories. I miss you, so it helps. =) Love you, Erin.
Now - if i could just tear myself away from looking at all of these old blogs so that i can get some actual work done...
Post a Comment