2.) As you can tell by all the orange, they're not even cheering for the United States. They're all about team Nederland. And don't give me any crap about dual citizenship and culture and roots. That's just UNPATRIOTIC. Yeah I said it.
3.) The hats. Oh, the hats. Mark's umbrella hat has been a part of our family for far too many years now (you should ask him to tell you about the time it got him in trouble with a cop in a stadium in Tallahassee a decade ago). My heart won't be broken when (if... I meant if!) it meets an untimely death at the hands of, say (and this is just off the top of my head, mind you), our food processor or the lawn mower. And the orange Nazi helmet Nick is wearing? I don't... I can't... I have no words. (I'm sad to say Mark is the proud owner of that one too.)
4.) They're wearing scarves* in hundred-degree weather. Someone please explain to me why scarves are a necessary part of being a soccer fan. I seriously do not get it.
5.) All this cheering? It's because of a replay of a goal. A replay. Because apparently there's enough nothing happening during soccer matches that they have to show each goal at least twenty-eight times. And yep, Mark cheers for each one. (Actually, he has to cheer at the replays, because he has a knack for leaving the room -- or today, rewinding the dvr to check out the men Nick spotted running through the stands in full-body orange spandex -- whenever anyone actually scores a goal.)
Honestly, I'm glad to see my family having fun. But still, this tournament is like a month long, right? It's really cutting into my non-football-season sense of orangeless normalcy around here.
*To be fair, Nick wasn't actually looking too crazy until I told him I was going to take a picture. But he did show up at our house just after 7am wearing a Dutch soccer jersey, so I'm still lumping him in to the insanity.
10 comments:
This is freaking hilarious. It made my day. I am still laughing. And I plan on showing this picture of my stepbrothers in their awesome hats to everyone that comes in my office. :)
OMG, I cannot stop laughing.....
That's my boys! Hup Holland Hup!
Thank you Erin for making my day :)
Did Mark go to Clemson just because he already had a bunch of orange?
The picture is hilarious.
You know merritt I asked him the same thing last night! He admitted that his affinity for orange might have helped him feel more at home when he visited Clemson! :)
I fear that the picture in my living room may be very similar tomorrow afternoon... Apparently, all of Brazil gets the afternoon off when their team is playing! Can you believe that??? What is up with our men cheering for other countries? =)
Way to go Mark! Merritt and Brett can verify that we hosted a Super Bowl party at 4:30 a.m. one time. Desparate times call for desparate measures.
Yes, what IS up with our men cheering for other countries?!! Yeah apparently most of the world shuts down when their countries play... we're the exception, not the rule, from what I understand. :)
wow Mark, you elicited a rare blog comment from Jonathan!!!
I love it! This week I've worn my TEAM USA gear with the German scarf, watched the Germany game with GERMANS (well, one German and two dual citizenship people), learned a lot about soccer from avid fans who can talk soccer like Americans talk basketball and football, and lamented that Mark wasn't here in his NED garb. And ESPN said today that so far the only team that makes them say WOW is the German team. WOW!
Keep fighting the good fight, Mark.
This is just plain weird. Awesome, but weird.
Post a Comment