I have spent no small amount of time lamenting the fact that both Nathan and Anneliese turned out to be thumb addicts when I would have preferred them to take a pacifier. You know, so I'd have a prayer of keeping it clean (well, cleanish), and also so *I* could be the one to determine when the addiction ended. I'm sure there are moms of paci addicts who say they would choose thumbs instead. Maybe it's one of those grass-is-greener things.
But no more.
Charlotte has found her thumb. And let the record show, I am fully on board. I am now a shameless lover of this addiction. Shameless pimper of the thumb. Shameless reveler in the extra sleep her thumb habit has bought us.
Y'all. The crying in the last week since she got thumb-consistent has been reduced by at least 50%. She fusses, finds her thumb, and gets it together. It even happens in the middle of the night.
I don't think the awesomeness of that can be overstated:
She fusses in her crib. She finds her thumb within minutes. And she goes back to sleep. All while I stay warm and cozy and drowsy in my bed.
SERIOUSLY.
Her up-once-a-night pattern has changed to a full 10-12 hours of sleep almost every night in the last week or so. So basically I have learned to equate thumb sucking with sleeping through the night. And quiet naptimes during the day. I might pay for it later in thousands of dollars of orthodontics bills, but let me tell you what: the lack of tears now will be worth every penny later.
It took three babies and three thumbs to get me on board, but I'm here now. My name is Erin, and I am a babythumbaholic.

4 comments:
Don't get stressed about the orthodontic bills. One of our friends who is an orthodontist prefers for his kids to choose thumb over paci for the exact reason you (now) do! I think in the end, we're going to be screwed with the orthodontic bills no matter what. Sigh.
YES! Go Charlotte, go! I love thumbsuckers. I'm so hoping Lu is one; she started sucking on her fist this week. And I ADORE that Charlotte shirt in the first picture. In the words of my friend Erin G, "Just sayin'!" :)
We keep trying to get Liam's thumb in his mouth... right now he just slurps on his fist. We're hoping it will help him self-soothe in the middle of the night, too. Yay, Charlotte! Yay, sleep!
Thumb-sucking babies are just too cute! You'll probably end up spending a fortune on braces anyways. So enjoy the cuteness (and the sleep)!
Post a Comment