Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In Which Life Kicks Us When We're Already Down

This retro-dated post is brought to you by my fancy droid phone, and the Cameron Village branch of the Wake County public library system, internet terminal number eighteen. 

Why, you ask?  Because I don't have a computer.* 

Why, you ask?  Because in case last week's flood wasn't enough, our house got robbed this morning.  And no, I am not kidding.  Not even a little.  I feel like a weird statistic.  Houses getting robbed... that's the kind of thing that happens to other people, right?  Apparently not.

It happened in broad daylight, in the half-hour when Mark left to go get the kids from preschool/mmo (I was doing farm deliveries).  Which is creepy because they had clearly been watching our house.  Which makes my stomach churn a little.

Along with our laptop, they also made off with our still-feels-new wii, our still-feels-new tv, some jewelry -- all the normal things you expect to get taken when you have a house robbery.  Fortunately our neighbor was home and saw them, and got the make/model of the car and the first digits of the license plate number, which means they got the bad guys (and a house full of could-be-stolen stuff, some of which could be ours, but no word on that yet).

You know how you sometimes have those weeks when you're overwhelmed with life and you're already crumpled on the ground crying?  And then life kicks you in the ribs and makes things worse?  Yeah, we're having one of those weeks. 

My plan was to wait and write about this when I could make light of it.  (That's my general rule of thumb.)  But, let's face it, that could be weeks months next year.  So I'm just laying it all out on the table right now: this sucks.  I can't find a way to laugh about it yet.  But I'm telling the internet now so that I can get on with celebrating my precious baby girl turning one seven short days (a week that will feel shorter this year than last year, for sure!) and tell the internet about that for the next week instead.

And in the meantime, if you're the praying type, I have some material for you:
- Our sense of violation.  We want to feel better and safe in our own home.
- Mark is shaken up at being the provider of a family who now feels vulnerable. Pray for him especially.
- For the cops and detectives working on our case, who have been kind and wonderful.
- For our stuff to find its way home.  I'm not getting my hopes up too high, since it's pretty rare for home burglaries to result in reclaimed property, but I would love to have our computer back (maybe with the hard drive not wiped out) and some pieces of jewelry that hold far more sentimental than monetary value.

We are safe. Our children are safe.  Bowden is safe.  And the rest is just stuff, right?

*And as much as I love my phone, I'm sick of typing on it, and couldn't bring myself to finish and publish this away from a real computer.

10 comments:

TeeTee Lynn said...

I am so sorry! We will definitely keep you guys in our prayers. Please, let us know if there is anything we can do...even if it is just bringing you guys a hot meal or something. Anything. I'd be happy to help.

Megan said...

That is so terrible! I am so sorry that this has happened to you, especially on top of the flooding. I can't even imagine how stressful and discouraging this must be. I hope things return to normal for you all soon.

Betsy said...

Prayers going up for y'all!!

Brad said...

I'm sure cops and detectives have thought of this, but a big problem down here is maintenance/repair men coming in your house and scoping it out for "friends"... Wonder if it was someone involved with the flooding? (I know they caught them). Just a thought. Glad everyone is safe. Scratch Bowden's ears for me (I'm sure that was scary for her) and spread my love to everyone! Love you guys!

Sent from my iPhone

Sarah D. said...

i don't even know what to say... i love you guys and we are praying for you.

Sarah O said...

Erin - I am SO sorry about all of this. We are thinking about you guys. Luckily, you are one of the strongest women I know. Just keep pushing forward.

We love you!

marmie said...

That neighbor deserves a Crime Stoppers award! Have there been a string of break ins in your neighborhood? Brad has a really good point esp if your case is isolated. GEEZ, how much you have been through in a week- I wish I could wave the magic mommy wand and make it all better. But I did brag to a friend how adult and competent and mature Erin and Mark were in dealing with mega challenge. That doesn't mean you can't decompensate a bit now and then.....you're not superhuman.

EMU said...

xoxo

amandajv said...

I hope things get better for you soon! I can't imagine going through so much at once. Good luck! And happy birthday to your little one!

merritt said...

I tried commenting last week while at my parents' house but for some reason couldn't. I'm so glad you are back home and that life is sorta returning to normal. I'm sorry you had such an awful week. But I'm so glad that you keep trusting the Lord knew what He was doing, in spite of how you were/are feeling. Love y'all.