Friday, July 16, 2010

Top Ten Wii Surprises

We've been a wii family for the last month.  Surprised?  Me too.  The whole thing has been surprising from the get-go:

1.) The remotes are wireless.  Seeing as it's 2010, I talk and access the internet every day on a phone without cords, I've been changing my tv channel with a wireless remote for, oh I don't know twenty years or so, and even the fan in our bedroom is controlled by a wireless remote... seeing all that, the fact that the wii controllers don't have cords shouldn't have surprised me.  But... it did.  (I just made it painfully obvious that I haven't played video games -- except this -- since the original Nintendo days of my childhood, didn't I?)

2.) Wii really does make you sore.  I used to laugh at people who said they had wii injuries.  That was before I understood the true athletic prowess required to throw an 85mph fastball.  (Right, Jake Peavy? *fistbump*)  No, seriously.  My arm hurts.

3.) It apparently causes me to make sports references in blog posts.  {{sigh}}  Jake Peavy?  Really?  How do I even know who he is??  Come to think of it, that might be more a product of our tv defaulting to espnews (or as I like to call it, the LeBron channel) every time you turn it on.  Dang it!  Was that another sports reference?  I digress.

4.) Wii canoeing just might be harder than real life canoeing.  Surprising but true. Seriously.  I've done canoeing both ways (even multiple "tip tests" at girl scout camp!) and I promise it's harder in video game form.

5.) No matter what Mark says, inching closer and closer to the tv while swordfighting totally works.  Surprised?  Don't be.  And contrary to what this video evidence would have you believe, it's totally possible to look classy while doing so.  And I assure you, Another Nathan and I are indeed very classy people.
(If you can't see the video embedded above, click here.)

6.) That jerking motion required of your wii remote to thrust your airplane forward with a little more speed?  Yes, that.  Well, it's... something.  It's funny.  Probably the funniest of the wii surprises, actually.  The video evidence would be inappropriate to show, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  Or use your imagination.  No, seriously -- picture it.  Go ahead. 

7.) Tandem biking is awkward for two grown men.  Doesn't sound so surprising, right?  Except apparently, it's awkward even in a video game, which I find endlessly amusing.  Judging by their frozen arms (and smiles) when they discovered they weren't racing each other, but riding together... yeah let's just say Mark and Another Nathan aren't ready to take their friendship to the tandem level yet.  Awkward = hilarious.  And awesome.  Can I make up a new word now?  Awksome.**

8.) Those wrist straps are totally necessary.  I thought they were just a Nintendo c.y.a. thing to hopefully avoid getting sued.  And maybe they are.  But surprisingly, they might be the only reason our tv screen has survived the last month.  Fortunately (or unfortunately, if you're Mark), the straps don't prevent me from being able to use my wii remote as a weapon.  I don't mean a video sword or video bow & arrow type of weapon, I mean a weapon.  With which to punch my opponent in the arm for beating my high score. 

9.) A pink remote really makes the wii feel like a family thing, not a Mark thing.  Mark tried to sell me on using wii as a family activity, but I didn't think I'd be into it.  Turns out that pink remote got me invested a lot faster.  Yes, I am that shallow.  (And girly, apparently.)  Also it's good for emasculating your opponents, should that become necessary. Just sayin'.

10.) Mark, wrestling the air with a wii remote and nunchuck... um, kind of hott.  Who knew.  I like his agressive side, even just in the wii world.
 Happy wii-ing, from our family* to yours!

*Yes, Another Nathan's mii is absolutely a necessary part of our wii family.  I mean, did you miss the whole tandem biking awksomeness?  And the sword-fighting?

**UrbanDictionary.com says someone thought of this before I did.  Punks.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Making the Miis is the best part of the Wii. We have Miis for Fozzie, Napoleon Dynamite, and Michael Jackson. It makes the Sports game even more fun when you can golf as Michael Jackson!

EMU said...

Wow. Mark's mii looks just like him. And I love Anneliese's open mouth mii. Too funny!

Kelley C said...

I've been wanting to take a pic of our Mii family now for a while and post it and you have inspired me to do that! Love it.

Neil said...

Good gracious. Is there anything Mark does that you DON'T think is hot???

Erin G said...

yay kelley! I hope I start a trend. A tend that Megan is on too.

Emu - I know RIGHT.

Neil - of course, doofus. But I'm not going to throw him under the bus on those few things on the internet. The hott stuff is so much more fun to talk about. :)

Emily said...

I loved making miis for everyone too! And I loved how they randomly showed up to play soccer or do step aerobics. It always cracked me up to see my father-in-law jog by or my aunt hula hoop. This makes me wish we still had our wii just so I could make miis again!

Erin G said...

Emily - i know, I love it when Anneliese is driving the boat while I wakeboard! Not so much when she's on the other end of my swordfighting duel though. :)