Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sleepover in Millers Creek

The last leg of our road trip last week, after Mark and I spent a couple days in Asheville alone, involved collecting the kids and driving back up towards the mountains to spend a few days with my grandpa in Millers Creek. 

Which we had never done before.  Visit, yes.  Spend the night?  With both kids along?  Nope.  It's been only daytrips for probably the last ten years. 

It was so fun though, and it brought back childhood memories of late(ish) nights in front of the Braves on tv and waking up to roosters crowing (not as cool now that I'm a sleep-deprived mommy) and just being in that house overnight.  It was kind of cool to see my own kids doing what I spent so many summer weeks of my childhood doing. :)

We did fabulous Millers Creek things, like hit the kfc buffet for dinner, drive the tractors, ride out into the pastures to see the cows, let Mark and his friend Justin have some guy time to go fishing while the wives and kids visited and played, and sit on Grandpa's front porch and enjoy watching Nathan and Anneliese run around together.

I think my Grandpa was so happy to have us there for a few days, and I loved that both kids had such an easy time with him even though we only see him a few times a year.  Nathan talked his ear off (I'm not sure that Grandpa could hear more than 50% of it... which might or might not be a blessing in disguise) and Anneliese couldn't get enough hugs.  It was all very very sweet.

driving the tractor

Don't worry, Mommy, I can totally climb backwards down these stairs!

no shortage of treats at Great-Grandpa's house

climbing a tree?  who is this child??


I probably didn't step in a cow patty less than thirty seconds
after reminding my husband and children to please avoid them.
Probably.
I definitely didn't get it all over my pants so Mark had to take a picture.
 
They both love the cows.  Anneliese called them puppies.  Many, many times.

*frantic waving* "puppy!  puppy!" *blows kisses*
riding a tricycle for (I think?) the first time
the tractor rides wore her out!
And clearly exhausting:
best road trip sight in the world: asleep at the same time

For more pictures of our visit, click here for the photobucket album.

No comments: