[Nathan woke up this morning -- yes, after staying with us all night in our bed -- in much better spirits, with his fever pretty much gone. Oh! And he loves me again! Yay! He and Mark are now both napping, and I am cautiously hopeful that things are on the upswing.]
I might have mentioned once or twice that my husband has an obsession with fruity desserts. He's the only grown man I know who will consistently opt for berries or pies or fruity yogurt (yogurt!) over legitimate desserts like chocolate and creamy cakes. (At Starbucks, he chooses apple cider over mocha. Who does that?)
Anyway, because of his love for fruity desserts (especially in summer), and my love of easy, (relatively) healthy recipes with inexpensive ingredients, I wanted to try to make him some sorbet. I found the idea over at this site, but their post wasn't very specific about how much to use of each ingredient, so I had to play around with it to get the consistency right. Here's what I came up with.
Three-Minute Sorbet
16 oz package of frozen berries (any kind)
1/3 c sugar (or splenda)
1 c heavy cream (fat-free is ok), plus extra if needed
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1.) Add frozen fruit to blender or food processor (do not defrost first) with sugar and cream.
2.) Pulse until fruit is broken up and chunky, then process until smooth.
3.) If it's too icy and won't process down enough, stream in extra cream while blending, until you get to the consistency you want.
It tastes really good straight out of the machine, but it will also keep in the freezer for a week or so (put it in tupperware, or divide servings into ziplock bags).
Bonus: Nathan had so much fun helping with this! Of course I didn't let him do the blending, but I let him dump in the cream after I measured it, and take berries from the bag to toss in as well. He was so excited that he got to "make it for Daddy" and he kept saying so over and over again.
I used a mix of blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, but I guess any berry or combination would work (you might want to use more or less sugar based on the sweetness of the fruits you choose). Fresh berries should work equally well (though not as cheap in most cases), just spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze first.
Happy summer desserting!!
1 comment:
I am like Mark in his preference for fruity desserts over chocolaty ones. I've observed over the years that there are two types of people when it comes to sweets - those who like fruit and those who like chocolate. I think the fruit-lovers might be out-numbered by the chocolate-lovers, at least judging by how quickly chocolate desserts disappear at large gatherings when compared to the fruity desserts. Even though I like chocolate, given a choice, I will select the fruity dessert probably 80 percent of the time.
Glad to hear that Nathan is feeling better. Childhood illnesses are rougher on the parents than the kids most of the time.
Post a Comment