Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Do I Have To?"

We have officially moved up a level from the don't want to phase of early summer. Don't worry, we still hear a lot of that (usually it comes out no want to -- is it weird that Nathan's speech and pronunciation seem to regress as he gets more comfortable with new words, or is it normal to just get lazy and less articulate as time passes?), but in the last week pretty much anything we ask (or tell) Nathan to do is met with an immediate do I have to?

Well, Nathan... technically, no. You don't HAVE to. But we're asking you to, so please do it. Now. Because Mommy said so.

Everything from directing him to eat a few more bites of dinner, to cleaning up his toys, to putting his shoes on, to getting a clean diaper, to please come on down the stairs now is met with do I have to? He even questions things he normally LIKES to do, like brushing his teeth or going outside or wearing his shark PJs.

Good thing it's usually easy to convince him he actually wants to do these things, and he's a pretty agreeable kid.

Still... I sense tantrums in the forecast. Help and suggestions are welcome, for when this takes a turn for the worse... as I'm sure it will.

3 comments:

ashley said...

Welcome to the Terrible Twos! :)

Dad said...

Just another phase...he'll move on to something else soon...

marmie said...

do you remember Ashley proclaiming the concept of free will? She was about 4, I think, and in response to my "you have to go clean up the toys NOW" said "No, I don't HAVE to. I may chose to do it because you will be angry if I don't, but I don't HAVE to."
oh, the challenges of intelligent children!