Thursday, May 12, 2011

Renovation: Finishing Touches

So technically this is Renovation, Days 57-69.  But seeing as there have been a lot of down days in there where no work was done, and there's really only about a half-day's worth of work left to do before the official renovation account runs dry, yet still years before the house is really done up exactly how we want it (but isn't that always the case?)... we're just calling this, here and now, The End. 

A "month-long" project turned seventy days.

We're in.  We're getting settled.  And whenever we sell the old house, we will have a fantastic renovated pool as the icing on the cake.  (Ooooooh let's fill it with icing!  No, cake batter! *saysthepregnantlady*)
So, this is The House That Love Built* -- our new home:
Since the last reno update, the new siding (replaced due to the termite damage, of course) has been painted to match the rest of the house.  We have freshly repaired dormer windows in all the upstairs bedrooms (look ma! no more rotted wood!)... Oh, and the whole exterior got a good pressure washing.

We have several new entrance doors (they're all in now, but a few are still waiting to be painted):

We've also properly fenced off the pool from the rest of the yard:
We can now get from the house to the deck, the guest house, and backyard without worrying about the pool -- which is behind a very kiddie-proof (read: Erin-proof) latched/locked gate. 

I am so happy that we found a way to fence the pool off while protecting easy access to the guest house and yard.  Really.  It seems like a small thing, but I am very pleased with the setup we worked out.

So. Buy new house? check. Renovate new house? check.  That's all, folks.

Yet... we're far from done.  There's the whole renovating of the pool, of course.  And someday we'll stain the fence.  And clean up the wild area in the backyard.  And remodel our bathrooms.  And put a door on the laundry room.  Put knobs on all the cabinet doors.  Replace the ugly brass light fixtures.  Screen in the back deck.  And soon, fix the leaky toilet line so we can use the kids' bathroom upstairs again.  (And there's still that pesky business about selling the old place too.)

But I get exhausted thinking about all that, so today I am just going to sit back and enjoy all the work that's already been done.  On this new home, which I love.  And be happy with things how exactly how they are right now.

*Hey, when you don't have enough money to just throw some cash at the problems, a labor of love is also required.  (Labor of love almost always means elbow grease.  True story.)

4 comments:

marmie said...

Your house is wonderful!! Note my "to-do" list in my house is still ongoing after 11 years. Project one that I planned when I first saw the house on the market (remodel master bath) is no farther along than it was prepurchase. MANY other very good updates have been done, but clearly this house remains a work in progress.

kendra said...

You have worked so hard on this! It looks great! Is the gate really kid proof? It looks like a kid could crawl under that fence. It's hard to tell from the photo though. Nice job on the house that love built (much better name than the termite house!)

Erin G said...

ha! yep the gate latch is super tricky. And the fence probably only looks like a kid could crawl under because you can't see the wires covering the split rails. The wire part goes almost all the way to the ground. I realized after you said that, that the pic doesn't show the wire well at all!

merritt said...

It's beautiful. I'm not sure I want to come see it because I'll be so full of envy. :)