Our church (sadly) is still clinging fiercely to the trend. So we did our congregational duty and went to have a family photo made. So that our shining faces will be in the directory when it comes out. In case someone needs to look us up and figure out who we are. (Yes, people still do that. Adorable huh.)
We picked out shirts that worked together but weren't too matchy-matchy. We washed and brushed our hair, and employed bobby pins. We piled together in an array of stools and stepping blocks in front of the requisite fake-painty background. I sat through a way-too-salesy chat with Nick the Fabulous Photographer who laid on the guilt trip thick about how rarely we have family photos made (true), how lovely and professional his photog skills were (ummm) and all about funding this project for our church (gag me; I know who profits off these things, dude). I felt worried for the less-firm souls who probably spent way too much money on photography that Fabulous Nick was "saddened" wasn't my preferred style.
ANYWAY.
It's not my favorite thing (have you guessed?) but when the directory comes out, this lovely moment of awkward brilliance will be inside it.
![]() |
| Nathan: seriously with the smile? Dad: might be a bit tired Mom: might be gritting my teeth Anneliese: immortalizing the snaggletooth Charlotte: I can't believe these are my people. For serious y'all. |
I mean, it's not terrible. We're all looking at the camera. And most of us are smiling or at least looking moderately pleasant. Anneliese's head is covering my double chin which is a photography fail but skinnymaking win, amIright? And Charlotte's fingers around Mark's are pretty much adorable actually.
But still. If any of you (grandparents) even breathe a hint of wanting a copy of this to hang in your houses, BRACE YOURSELF FOR ENDLESS EYE ROLLING (also we didn't order any haha suckas).

6 comments:
Hmmm..... I agree with everything you say. And I'm so happy I don't have to make a white lie and have one of my wall. I didn't know Nick had a second job ;) Please try again.
I think it's adorable
I think it's adorable
I have a confession: I like church directories for the exact purpose you said - I like to look up who people are. Because as weird as it is, not everyone is on fb! But, these Olan Mills pics are so not worth doing a directory. Except for the laugh purposes.
I don't hate directories either, actually. They're a bit old fashioned but I guess they serve their purpose. I'm just not sure this type of photography is suited for anything BUT a church directory or the like. (And certainly not at the prices they quote.)
The whole thing would be an easier pill to swallow with A- better photography or B- less schmoozy salesy pushy people.
But yes, I fully intend to pore over our directory when it comes out, and enjoy it... for what it is. Our church family at its awkward best. :)
It's like the freshman meet book! I LOVED looking at that!!!
The picture is good, like you say, but, also as you say, not something you want to frame. Definitely do some more casual family pics sometime because you guys really are lovely. :)
Post a Comment