We have officially survived a sicker sick week than the horrible Sicksgiving of 2012.
First, Anneliese got pinkeye.
Two days later, Ali got the pinkeye. And a cold.
One day later, Charlotte got the cold.
Two days after that, Anneliese had a random one-time vom. We disregarded it because we are fools.
(Also because it was a horrible week for our community, burying one of our former youth choir girls, who lost her life to depression. It was tragic and gut-wrenching and we had way bigger things on our mind than assuming we had a g/i bug floating through our house on top of everything else. And yet, we did.)
That same afternoon, on top of her cold, Ali also started throwing up (she was home with her mom, because of the funeral), and the next day the voms hit Mark too, all night. I banished him to the guest house, because obviously. He slept for a whole day afterwards.
Two days after that, Charlotte got pinkeye, and a fever, and it turns out her cold had moved to an ear infection. Our first, after seven years and three kids (well, except swimmers ear).
That night, Nathan felt queasy, and by morning was throwing up. He kept at it all day, every fifteen to twenty minutes, constantly. I have never seen anyone throw up so much. It was like... fifteen hours of vomiting.
Meanwhile Ali and Charlotte still both had fevers, and Anneliese was as crabby as I have seen her in months, even though she seemed to have already made it through all the sicks.
By bedtime when Nathan's thing still hadn't run its course, he could barely stand, and couldn't pee, so we called his doctor and they sent us to the ER for fluids and zofran.
They tried the dissolvable zofran first and he promptly threw it up, everywhere. All over the triage area. It was so sad, y'all.
Eventually they got an IV in him and he got some fluids and some zofran and he slept for a spell, and dang he woke up a whole different kid.
Amusing anecdote from the hospital: when Nathan was awake and comfortable enough to talk to the doctors, one of them asked what the best book had read recently was. He told them a biography of J.K. Rowling.
"Oh, so you're a big Harry Potter fan?"
"No I have never read them, I just really like biographies."
(Picture me making the cry-laughing emoji face right here. Haaaaaa. So Nathan.)
Anyway we got home and slept hard, and the next morning, Mark woke up with pinkeye, AND THAT IS WHEN I LOST IT.
It was a very long ten days. I cried.
But! Brightsiding! In between Charlotte's ear infection appointment, and Nathan's never-ending upsturned stomach, we did have some half-birthday cake for him. Also, Charlotte never threw up. I never threw up. I never got pinkeye. I never had more than a bit of congestion. So if any of you want to know my superpower, it is apparently Immune System of Steel.
(Does not apply to mono.) (Or pleurisy.)
(Okay nvm I have odd sickies too, but NOT THIS WEEK UNIVERSE SO KISS IT.)
2 comments:
Happy noise, you’ve got to be kidding! I can only half empathize with you, since I had only two kids and two grandkids. However, I do remember chicken pox, pneumonia, bronchitis and the whoopses all at once. And that was 45 years ago!
Holy cow! You sound like us...we had the same thing hit us for about a 5 day spell. I didn't get any of it...I ended up with terrible sinus infection with my 3rd round of bronchitis in 9 months. Ugh...we all had the flu after Christmas and that was just...I can't even tell you. I'm so over sickness in our house, which is how it sounds like you feel. UGH!
Glad you made it through. I'm sure it wasn't easy. I know it wasn't easy.
You will always be a super mom to me. :)
L,
Jenny
Post a Comment