Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Holding Pillows

Okay so amongst a handful of other more... typical eight-year-old presents, like lego sets and minecraft shirts and and a toy robot kit and space stickers for his ceiling, he also got a long-awaited... holding pillow.

This is a thing I didn't even know was a thing until the past few years.

They're just those slinky squishy pillows you see in various places, apparently Brookstone has the best ones - fom pillows, they call them - but they're all over. Anyway Another Nathan has had one for years, calls it a holding pillow, doesn't like to sleep without it (whoops I just told the internet about that) (seriously though he even travels with it). So when he moved, and needed to fly back with limited suitcase space, he asked if he could have a holding pillow here, in the guest house, so he didn't have to pack one when he visits. WELL OF COURSE. Easiest thing ever, to make our favorite guest comfy.

Anyway, long story short, we got one, it's kind of cool, and now everybody in my house wants a piece of that thing. I used it in the guest house to prop my book arm up when I would go over there to read. Then it made its way to my bed for leaning purposes, or head propping while watching TV. Then the kids started fighting over who got to hug it and sleep with it. 


Y'ALL. I mean it's fun and soft and I like it too, but... it's just a pillow. Not even a pillow. A pillow-thing.

So in April, one of Anneliese's friend's big sisters gave her this one as a hand-me-down. She was thinking Anneliese would like it just because it's a silly rainbow thing but she had no idea the pure joy of her having her very own holding pillow. (!!!) (?)


Can I say it again? It's just a pillow. JUST A PILLOW. It costs $15. We can own as many of these as we want!

So when Nathan wanted his own too (SHOCKING), which he has "casually" mentioned for months now, I took Anneliese to the mall to pick one out for him. She chose a bright blue one, and I swear it was the happiest thing he opened on his birthday.


And thus ends today's episdoe of You Can Never Predict The Random Things Kids Will Go Nuts For.

3 comments:

Holly said...

When I was eight (or maybe 9?) I asked for an ACCORDIAN FILE FOLDER for my birthday. And got it. And was thrilled beyond belief.

With that kind of history, you would think I would have turned out to be a highly organized adult. We all know better, though.

ashley said...

I can relate to being hooked on a pillow...

april said...

Apparently I'm going to have a comment for everything today. Spencer has one of these. I got a green Fom pillow for Christmas 12 years ago or something, and when S was an infant I used it like a boppy. He bogarted it as soon as he was old enough to care what he slept with and it is his lovey. It's the only thing that has to go with us when he sleeps somewhere other than home. Also, it's kind of gross because I have no idea how to clean it other than spraying the sucker with Lysol.