
... But I will elaborate anyway.
This is a picture of my laundry room. Yes, that's a push toy and a car seat base on top of my laundry. Yes, my laundry is clean, it just hasn't made it back upstairs yet. Yes, I am dumb enough to put Bible study materials at the foot of my washer, and no I am not trying to drown Jesus. (Somewhere out there, Kiran is wondering, I'm sure.)
As you can see by my laundry room, I don't love laundry. Nor have I ever given anyone any indication that I do. Unlike my friend Hope, I don't even sarcastically allude to loving laundry, lest the message be lost in translation and someone think that I actually do. Make no mistake: I don't.
As I get closer and closer to making and executing the decision to be a full-time homemaker, I am looking for ways to trim our budget. Even more. And cloth diapering is a surefire way to do that. I have been tempted by the numbers: the startup costs are less for cloth diapering than I would spend on six months' worth of disposables (even after accounting for my incessant coupon clipping and bargain hunting and rebate requesting), which means the cloth diapers would pay for themselves four times over (or so) before Beanie is potty trained. Even more if I somehow get knocked up again. So this should be easy math, right?
There is a price on sanity. If this is what our laundry room looks like now, then Mark is right (yes, I am yelling it from the rooftop, sweetie... YOU ARE RIGHT): extra loads would make me miserable. Especially if, when left undone, they smell like poop.
So I applaud you cloth-diapering moms out there (unless you do it solely to "be green" and you live on a high horse from which you preach to everyone about it, in which case I roll my eyes
I am officially stocking up on Huggies for Beanie.
Oh! And yes, Simon did eat the drywall when he was a puppy.
6 comments:
I think its so important to know your limits! I told Jonathan if cloth diapering somehow made me do more dishes, I'd never do it. More laundry- sure. More dishes- no way. I'll start sending you my huggies coupons.
Thats so funny! I just posted about how I have slowly started cloth diapering, but it has taken me 3 kids to get here. So its interesting to see where God takes each of us. I sure hope it doesn't involve making my own baby food or making my own bread. For me I would rather wash a poopy diaper any day.
I like how you make decisions! Indeed, sanity counts for something.
Do you need to rent a POD for all the Huggies this blog will elicit? You do have a decent attic, and also that storage cubby behind the basement bathroom, though.
Here, here on your decision. I tried cloth diapers for a while, but it got to be too much, especially when dealing with two young'uns in diapers at the same time. I don't know how my mom did it with 4 (count'em - 4) of us in cloth diapers all at once. No, thank you. Save your sanity!
I'm not sure how I found your blog but here I am LOL I am a SAHM and I cloth diaper. We did it mostly for the cost, then all the rest. I HATE laundry. I don't mind putting it in the washer but putting it away is not my strong suit. I don't mind wrinkles haha So I can say with utter honesty that diaper laundry is different. I can't explain it but it just is. I do it every 3rd day (every other when he was itty bitty) and it just doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's easier than getting dressed to go to the store if I notice we are running low.
Anyway, if you are thinking about it at all, there are actually trials out there so you know what you are getting into before you buy a stash. You can even try the different styles (all in ones, pockets, fitteds etc) I think they are great options for folks who aren't quite sure. www.jilliansdrawers.com has one of the more popular ones but there are certainly others.
How did I find this? I have no idea - but I'm laughing my butt off right now. Oh, the thinks you say you'll never do....
Post a Comment