Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Big Boy Underwear

I have been delaying putting these words on the internet, since I have a feeling that as soon as I do it, my child will make a liar out of me. (It's happened before.)

But at some point I have to take a deep breath and announce to the world what has happened over the last week or so:

Nathan is pretty much potty-trained.

Yup, he's there.

And he doesn't have to be naked to do it. He wears his big-boy underwear all day, even if we leave the house, and he consistently pees and poops in the potty. (And I keep joking that family is single-handedly keeping the yogurt raisin industry in business.)

He's not perfect at it -- we still have some fine-tuning* to do. He can't go all night (and he wears diapers during naps, though 90% of the time he wakes up dry). And he won't go in public without his potty. And he won't let other adults help him, besides Mark and me. But we'll get there.

And in the meantime, he is so proud of himself. He loves his underwear. He loves that he's wearing underwear like Daddy's. He loves to pee, he loves to flush, he loves to tell everyone about it. And while I have to admit that the underwear stage is more of a pain (for me) than the diaper stage, the inconvenience of staying near the potty (or hauling his seat around with us) is totally worth it to see the grin on his face when he gets to tell us kept his underwear dry.

(I can't decide if the big-boy underwear trumps the baby-boy thumb sucking, but I'm ok if he lives right in between those two worlds... for a few more months, anyway. At least until he's three.)

I'm so proud of him for deciding to get on board with the pottying thing, and deciding to step up and be a big boy with big-boy underwear. Way to go, Nathan!

*Anyone with hints on these fine-tuning issues, help me!!!

3 comments:

Neil said...

Good man! Also, I read the weaning post but didn't really have a comment.

Grandma said...

Yay Nathan. Grandma is so proud of you! xoxo

Kelley C said...

Way to go Nathan!!