I am writing this sitting on my couch, dressed in a summery t-shirt and flip flops, drinking an iced coffee... while shivering under a blanket. Because apparently my relationship with March weather is complicated?
The first few warm days like to taunt me with dreams of sunshine and pool time and pedicure and abandoning these sick months behind us. But then I look around and realize it's actually still forty degrees out (gross) (but I won't wear a coat in March, I won't I won't, I have principles) and my pleurisy still hurts and then oops out of nowhere we have two more fever babies and another croupy cough in the last three days. *sigh*
Nonetheless, spring is on the way and I feel hopeful.
I am currently glued to the tv watching the announcement of the new Pope. I probably shouldn't feel this invested, since I'm not Catholic. I don't really believe any of those cardinals are any holier than anyone else. But the ceremony and honor of the whole thing is sort of lovely, isn't it? The square all packed out with people! Praying and celebrating! Not for sports or politics or patriotism or even their own "personal spirituality" but for church. This whole office and position, it inspires so many people! As a fellow person of faith, it's hard not to feel the excitement.
I wish I had something smarter or more interesting to say, but... yeah. New pope!
In completely unrelated spring-is-springing news, Charlotte's obsession with her winter hat (which she wants to wear almost constantly; she is attached to it more than any animal or toy lovey) has been cute all winter but now that it's starting to get warmer, she looks a stitch cancery, no?
It's also the season of Anneliese trying to teach Nathan how to walk in flip-flops, something she (like most of her fellow humans) has mastered, while Nathan (in classic Nathan fashion) walks stiffly and awkwardly without bending his toes or ankles at all, as if the sandals are always about to fall off his feet. Is this a normal thing? How do I convince him to just walk normally? (He loves his new flip flops. They have pictures of dinosaurs on them, and make dino prints when he walks in the dirt, so why wouldn't he love them?... but he looks a hot mess walking in them. Help!)
Oh, and here is a small awesome thing: weather warm enough to skip a coat means my short-ish purse straps fit right over my shoulder and hi there, everything that just got easier! Nice to see you again!
Mostly random blog rambling... check. Okay spring, let's do this.
3 comments:
Nathan I share your struggle with the flip flops. I abandoned them years ago.
Hazel still isn't all that good at flip flops either! But Annabel has mastered them! Is it a first born thing? Why am I so prone to defining things by birth order?
Oh, Erin, your blog makes me happy on a sad day. Thank you!
Post a Comment