Things about Mark as a dad that I am finding pretty super these days:
1.) He is one of Nathan's team's tee-ball coaches, and when I watch him out there with all those kids, I can't believe that the sweet quiet sixteen-year-old I used to kiss in the bus parking lot has now turned into a funny lively encouraging dad, chasing after rogue throws, and high fiving kids when they remember to run all the way to each base. MELT.
2.) He built a bedsheet fort for the big kids for one of their Friday sleepovers, which have apparently just been leveled up.
3.) He brought home one of those little plastic pools, which are not my favorite, but it's fine because they love it, although I can't understand why they're so taken with it, considering we have an ACTUAL POOL.
4.) He will never be able to do a proper ponytail, which is the most Steretypical Dad problem ever, which amuses me because normally he doesn't stumble on Stereotypical Dad things. But! He makes ponytails anyway!
5.) He patiently (painstakingly) did this ship puzzle with Nathan when we got home from our cruise a few weeks ago. Turns out some presents that say 5 and up should totally say, like 30 and up.
And yes, it totally looks like a cruise ship now that they're done. Impressive, right?
Also, if you had been wondering what the top of a six-year-old boy's dresser looks like these days, well there you go. (Yes, that's a glow-in-the-dark pteranodon* stuck to the wall.) (*Or something else, I don't know. Putting this disclaimer here in case Nathan ever reads this and it turns out it's totally not a pteranodon, duh mom.)
5.) Marky also does things like take the kids to the playground so I can have the house to myself, and plays stomp rocket with them for hours...
...then comes home and suggests we find a sitter and go on a date. To a trendy restaurant where we get to sit on couches next to a pool while we eat dinner. So fun. (Yes, I wore a ponytail on a date. Don't judge me. As a rule I don't wash my hair on Saturdays.)
And I love him and he is a great dad and he makes me smile, and I don't know how often I say that, but I should more. Not because I am "lucky" to have a husband who thinks parenting is normal and does it well (all dads should! it should not be a special case for special praise when they do! Mark is the first one to agree with me on that!), although I don't take it for granted, either -- but because I love him and sometimes I get so hung up on thinking/talking/writing about my own mommying that I am glad to sit down and say hey, he makes daddying look awesomely fun, too.




.jpg)

5 comments:
My favorite part about this post is y'all kissing in the bug parking lot at age 16. And next, the title Daddydorable. :)
Thanks, darlin'. I love being a dad and doing all this stuff! And I thought that ponytail was pretty decent for a first attempt.
I am really glad that Mark is the father of Nathan, Anneliese, and Charlotte!! Thank you for being you, Mark.
My daughters both chose well. I can't imagine two better dads than Mark and John. Nice post.
What a beautiful post and what a beautiful family. Mark's Mom is smiling.
Post a Comment