Friday, February 19, 2010

Like Daddy

Nathan has spent a lot of time this week trying to be like Daddy. We've long noticed a pattern of him wanting to do whatever Mark does, but it's even more amusing when he explicitly says that he's trying to be like Daddy. Do it like Daddy has been Nathan's phrase of the week.

First he wanted to wear big shoes like Daddy. No matter that these are actually not Mark's shoes, but mine. He still had fun putting them on. Although not so much walking in them. He was exactly coordinated enough to tip over pretty much as soon as he stood up. Yeah we kind of knew that would happen. :) I think we have officially entered The World of Dress-Up. Hurrah.

Whenever we're in the car and Mark or I put our sunglasses on, Nathan asks to wear glasses too?... and then he grins the whole time he has them on. I have no idea why he thinks this is so fun. Volunteers to get him a second pair so we can have them in both cars?

On Thursday at school, Nathan's class made a "cloud" with shaving cream foam. His teachers said they weren't really expecting him to touch it or be too interested in it because normally he doesn't like to get all dirty and sticky. But then he played in it and even rubbed it on his face. He kept saying do it like Daddy and they couldn't figure out what he wanted so they tried to clean him up, and he got frustrated and went and got a piece of chalk from the easel and touched it to his face. Yup, he was trying to shave. Whoa dang Nathan, don't grow up too fast!


He has also been spending a lot of time nurturing his stuffed animals. This actually started around the time Anneliese came home (don't doubt for a second that Mark and I encouraged the heck out of it!)... this week he has been all about tucking the hippo into the bumbo seat. He makes him sit there and says things like put your bottom down, Hippo and time to read a book, Hippo. Then he hugs it and kisses it and makes sure the blanket is wrapped around him. I might be biased but it's ridiculously cute. Is it wrong that a hippo wrapped in a baby blanket is already getting my hopes up for grandkids? I can't wait to see Nathan as a Daddy. (If that's what he wants, of course, of course, but I'm still hoping it will happen.)

3 comments:

Neil Oatsvall said...

Cute kid.

Grandma said...

Grandma would LOVE to pay for a second pair. I can buy some or let you buy them and send $$. Glad I can give :)

Kendra said...

ooh. when i was a kid, my brothers and i would get to be like daddy by shaving our faces with him! i don't know where my parents got them but we had little white toy plastic "razors" about 3 or 4 inches long. it was so much fun.