Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oreos in Almond Bark

This whole cooking with Nathan thing is supposed to be getting him to branch out and be interested in more types of foods. In an ideal situation, more types of healthy foods.

But I saw this idea at Blissfully Domestic (yes, I am domestic enough to read that site, thankyouverymuch) and it looked fun and simple, and even though he's already pretty good about trying foods from the "cookies and sweets" food group, I decided to give it a go.

Y'all, this is was really good idea.

Oreos in Almond Bark
- almond bark
- oreos
- wax paper
- sprinkles or food coloring, if you want

1.) Melt the almond bark. If you're dividing it and doing a couple of different colors, estimate about 2 squares of bark per 12 cookies.

2.) Add food coloring. Light colors work best because apparently the more food coloring you add, the less dippable the bark gets. Skip the red on this one; pink works better.

3.) Dip the oreos, and set on wax paper to cool. If you're adding sprinkles, add them before the bark gets hard (duh).

I made these for our bell choir to enjoy as a valentine treat between church services this morning. I did some pink ones, some white with rainbow sprinkles, and some white with hagelslag, since that's what we had in the house.

Nathan's favorite parts:
- stirring the bark and watching it turn pink
- sprinkling dumping sprinkles on top of the cookies
(warning... toddler + sprinkles = hot mess)
- dipping the cookies in the bark
(remember he is a fan of dipping anything in anything else)
- eating the finished product
- licking the bark spatula
- so yeah he pretty much loved all of it...

This is definitely toddler-friendly "baking" at its finest -- no measuring, no ovens... and lots of stirring and dipping!

(Bonus: it makes dads happy too! Especially when you let them eat the actual cookies and not just look at a picture of them, which I was sorely tempted to do.)

Clearly I deserve some sort of award in food photography, don't you think?


Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Mary Cham said...

those look so yummy! i will def have to try that one!!

Betsy said...

Oh THAT'S what those little brown chocolatey thingies are... I've always wondered what they were called.

Great idea! I'll have to try this with Isaac!! :)

Wish I was in your bell choir - those lucky ducks. :)

Kendra said...

dood, they sell this at Trader Joe's in December! Except they are completely dipped. (if i am remembering my pre-gluten free life correctly)