Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Floors!

Here's why I hate (loathe abhor) home improvement:

This is what our dining room looked like all weekend. Yes, that is Nathan's bed. And dresser. And everything from his room. Oh! And everything from Anneliese's too. We had new carpet put into their rooms (and new hardwoods in the hallway and bathroom and one staircase*), so we had to displace everything in their bedrooms for a couple of days. Which, like 99% of home improvement projects, is something less than convenient.

I really really intensely dislike not being able to just live in my house like normal. Bunking in the basement and tripping over piles of furniture in our living space makes me irrationally frustrated and, well... ok I won't use the b-word. But something like that.

Needless to say, after I had moved all this furniture into a chaotic heap in the middle of our house, I skipped town. Since I would be taking care of the kids anyway, then I wouldn't have been much help if I had stuck around. So taking them and the dogs away for a few days might have even made things easier at home. Also, see above reference to the b-word. Mark was definitely happier with me out of the picture. Once I had done my part in moving furniture and taping some trip to prep for painting, he was probably glad to not have to deal with me!

When I came home tonight, all the trim was freshly painted (Mark stayed up very late two nights in a row doing it), all the new flooring was in place (the carpeting in the wrong place... Nathan's went in Anneliese's room, and vice versa, but I am forcing myself to just get over it), and all the furniture was back in the rooms right where it belongs (for the most part). Also the back storm door and front storm door (both broken when I left town on Thursday) are now fixed and working properly. I have to say, our home is definitely improved. :)

Nathan's room, before and after: Bathroom, before and after:Hallway, before and after:Anneliese's room, before and after:

Our house feels new and clean and fresh and I was only minimally inconvenienced (road trip with two fussy kids aside). I came home and it was just... done.

And that is why I love (adore treasure) Mark.

(*Didn't take a before picture of the staircase, but I totally should have because it was gross... just trust me when I say it looks way better now!)

4 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh it looks SO GOOD! Great pics!

Neil said...

It looks great!

ashley said...

Nice!! was it a big pain to match the new hardwood to the old? Now that it's down can you tell the difference (or see the line)? John and I have talked about adding hardwood to some of the carpeted areas in his house, too.

merritt said...

I heart wood floors. They look awesome, as do the bedrooms.

We skipped town last year when we were having our floors refinished. Best idea ever; I would have hated being there with our whole upstairs in our living room.