Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nine Months: Thriving (No Matter What They Say)

Anneliese is nine months old today!  I have to say, she finally doesn't feel like our new baby anymore. About time, right?
She just seems so much older and more independent now than she did a month ago.  Like she's finally losing some of that new-baby helplessness.  I think this could partly be due to so many of her firsts over the last few weeks:
- first night without Mommy (and it was a whole weekend!)
- sitting up without help
- clapping her hands
- shaking her head no
- waving at people
- trying to feed herself finger foods (without much success, but still)
- kissing us
- turning the pages of board books
- riding in a big car seat
- riding in the front of the grocery cart
- giving up that third nap (for good, we think)

I'm so excited as I watch her become increasingly more interactive with people around her, and as I see her personality really start to emerge.  But in truth I am also feeling a tad bit distracted, even discouraged, by her physical growth.  Does this look familiar? 
In case you're curious, growth charts are not supposed to look like this.  But apparently my children have a knack for it.  With two months of weight loss, and three (three!) standard deviations fallen on her chart, we officially have another failure to thrive (FTT) baby on our hands.
For the record, we're not nearly as worried about Anneliese as we were Nathan, and there are currently no medical interventions planned -- this time around, there will be no hospitalizations, no physical therapy, and no buttinski social workers.  Like her brother before her, it seems to be a phase where her metabolism is just way ahead of what she's eating.  The solution?  Eat more. 
But the problem is that keeping an upset baby in a high chair when she doesn't really want to eat any more causes a rush of dark emotions to come flooding back to me.  The calorie-counting, the panicky can't let baby skip a meal! feeling, the prayers during nursings to stay latched on just one more minute, one more ounce... it's an ugly place if I let my brain go there. I remember all too clearly the day I got fed up and just decided to be done with it with Nathan.  It was so freeing.  But I'm having trouble re-capturing that freedom right now.
A slower growth curve I could just take in stride, but the fact that Anneliese is losing weight is troubling enough to distract me from all the ways she is developing well.  For instance:  All organs seem to be functioning correctly.  She sees and hears well.  Her cognitive development is on par or even a little ahead.  Our doctor said yesterday that she's one of the most social nine-month olds he's ever seen.  Her height and head are growing normally.  She sleeps well.  Her fine motor skills are, for lack of a better word, fine. She's happy.  And I don't want to let worrying cause me to lose sight of that.

Praise the Lord for our beautiful amazing nine-month old!  Any of you who have seen her in recent weeks can attest to the fact that she is, everywhere except that stupid chart, thriving.

11 comments:

EMU said...

Anneliese is definitely thriving! Sweet, happy, gorgeous -- what more could you want? I'm sure she'll pack on the pounds as she gets older (I mean, don't we all?).

Erin Halsey said...

FTT is my least favorite acronym, ever. I'm glad she's happy, healthy, and developing. Praying for weight gain for Anneliese and a calm spirit for you!

Emily said...

I love that first picture!

Mary said...

Seeing that pic of Anneliese, I don't see a baby who's underweight. I don't like those growth charts. They kept telling me my oldest was overweight and I'd get this look from the doctor, like he was silently shaking his finger at me. Eldest Son is now a thin young man. I'd say, as long as Annaliese is doing fine in every other way and she doesn't appear to be too thin, ignore the chart. Happy nine months, Annaliese!

Mary said...

Whoops! Sorry for spelling your name wrong (twice!), Anneliese. Sheesh! Got it right the first time, though.

merritt said...

She's beautiful. And thriving. Statistics are just that. They aren't the end-all-be-all.

Erin G said...

Thanks y'all. I agree, she looks perfectly healthy, weight-wise. And I'm less concerned about the growth chart for statistical purposes (averages of other people's babies have no bearing on MY baby) than just to show that she's LOSING weight. The percentiles are irrelevant to me; I only care that she's not maintaining her OWN growth - curve, line, whatever.

Losing more than 15% of your body weight in two months is NOT ok, no matter where you lie in the statistical averages/charts.

She can fall off the chart for all I care (nathan did), she can grow slowly... I just want her to GROW, at all. Or at least not shrink.

All that to say... yes, her weight range is still fine for her age, and no I don't care about the percentiles and stats. I care about the missing poundage. And I am trying not to care TOO much about even that! :)

Betsy said...

She is beautiful Erin! I love that picture of her at your feet - soooo sweet!

And, yes, she sure is thriving!!!

Jen McGoff said...

I hate growth charts and how doctors seem to think that unless your child is cruising along the 50th percentile lines, there's something wrong with him/her. Connor, at 9 months, is finally ON the growth curve for weight and we're jumping for joy at his 9th percentile! We'll keep you guys in our prayers in hopes things improve quickly, but like you said, she's thriving otherwise and absolutely adorable. :) Good luck!

Erin G said...

Actually, I have to say my doctor is NOT one of those you're talking about. I don't think he would care where she fell, percentile-wise, as long as she was maintaining her own curve (wherever it falls) and growing instead of shrinking -- it's the several months of losing WEIGHT that concerns him, not that too far towards the bottom of the chart. I actually REALLY like that I have one of the good doctors -- if I had to deal with one of those people who was a slave to the 50th percentile, I would just change practices.

marmie said...

I ponder the 7 and 8 month points are out of line.....lok at the entire curve. If you did a computer analysis of the "best possible curve", I suspect THOSE are the points that are outlyers, not the 9 month data point......maybe she was full of poop or pre-void on those days, and empty of both at the nine month check. And I am assuming she is weighed without diaper.....