Friday, July 23, 2010

A Week Without Daddy

Mark has been out of town all week, helping lead a youth mission trip/service project in the Appalachian mountains.  Since I knew the potential for going stir-crazy (alone with the kids twenty-four hours a day for a whole week) was pretty high, I made sure we kept busy.  And I made sure to carve some Erin time in there too.  :)

Since I've been even more camera-happy than usual (with Daddy out of town, there are lots of photo-opps to text/email so he knows we miss him!), I present... our week in pictures:

Watching for planes at the airport (Annie-Bop came to play too!)...

...And snuggling on the observation deck.  All together now: Awwwwww.

Watching Eclipse and arguing Team Edward vs Team Jacob with Mary.  (Jake. Of course.)

Making a joyful noise, singing for a worship service at a regional meeting of presbyterian congregations (in Rocky Mount, about an hour away).  It was just as dorky as (and way more fun than) it sounds.  Awesome day.

Doing farm deliveries, then braving a road trip after surviving a night with the runs (the upside to this sickness: lots of poop in the potty).  Lots of time in the car made this sweet exhausted boy sleep pretty much all day.
No, of course I didn't take this picture while driving.  (Ahem.)
Having a fun conversation with both my siblings at the same time -- Ashley and me in one room with cell phones, Brad texting from down in St. Croix. ***ok so I don't technically have any pictures of this, but it's still worth mentioning because I laughed so hard and it was so fun.***

Mastering the art of drinking from a sippy cup without Mommy's help.

Beating the 110-degree heat index with slices of frozen watermelon masquerading as popsicles.  (What?  He doesn't need to know it's healthy.  Just call it a "treat" and he's happy.)

Hanging out with my best friend from college, David.  There's really no one like your college bff, is there?

Debating the pros and cons -- again -- of having two thumb-addicted children.

Food-processing leftover produce into baby food for the freezer.

Loving on each other.  Lots and lots of loving on each other.

It's been a really fun (and thoroughly exhausting, but in a good way) week! 

Mark is apparently having an awesome week too.  It sounds like they're doing good work in Tennessee, and he sounded so happy the couple of times I talked to him.  It's his first time doing anything like this, but the word on the street (Another Nathan is there too) is that Mark is totally in his element.  We're ready for him to come back though!

For more pics of what we've been up to so far this summer, click on Anneliese's sweet smile, below.
Image hosted by Webshots.com
by mgoetts

6 comments:

Betsy said...

LOVE the "loving on each other" pix!

We have that same sippy - but Elise still just chews it mostly...

Go you for making up all that baby food! :) Did you just straight-up process it, or did you blanch it first?

Erin G said...

fruit gets straight-up processed, veggies get cooked first (more than just blanched)... and the chunkier stuff gets juice or water or chicken stock added to thin it out. :)

Nicola said...

Team Jacob? Really? *sigh*
On another note - I love Anneliese in the Furman shirt!! Makes her even cuter than she normally is!

merritt said...

What a great week! I'm tired just looking at the pics.

Are you going to freeze the fruit? What fruits work well going into the freezer - do you know? I've been doing all veggies in the freezer since I didn't think fruits do well in there. I bet EMU knows. She makes all of Annie's food, right?

Emily said...

That last picture is adorable!!

Erin G said...

Merritt -- fruits have worked well for me in the freezer. Even easier than veggies, actually, because you don't have to cook them first. Just blend 'em up and freeze in open jars (add the lids after they're frozen solid). I've never heard that fruits are a problem to freeze. But I am definitely NOT well-educated when it comes to homemade baby food, I just do the slacker version and there's an excellent chance I'm doing it all wrong. :)