Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Milk Sisters

Our friend Elisabeth (emu) came over this week so all our girls could play together.  Highlights included Annie and Anneliese acting out a live birthing scene in an infant car seat with a baby doll between the knees (oh yes they did), trying on Nathan's underpants, and running around in circles hollering as only good southern toddlers can.

Charlotte and Sally are too posh (read: immobile) for such endeavors, so they mostly rolled around on the floor looking cute. We might have taken a picture or twelve.
these two have cornered the market on huge blue eyes, yes?

Last month, Sally was generous enough to share a healthy freezer portion of her mama's milk with Charlotte, while I went through some medical issues and couldn't nurse or pump as much. We're so grateful. Seriously, you will basically feed my baby when I can't? Who has friends like that?? Um, I do, apparently. I never imagined myself in a milk-sharing situation, especially an informal, unofficial one.  But here am, humbled and honored by it.  An incredibly supportive move from a very sweet friend.

I hope these little milk sisters will be great friends someday too.

3 comments:

EMU said...

1) My 2 yo is crazy crazy.

2) Our babies are gorgeous with those big blue eyes.

3) My pleasure! But next time I'm charging $14 an ounce...

Smldada said...

Thank you for sharing! It especially touches me because I am a donor mom. Both of my girls have milk siblings. Being better prepared this time around, I have been donating since dd2 was 5 weeks old. 5-10 oz a day over the last 8 months! I am so blessed by this experience.

It is really sad that informal milk sharing is so hush hush and taboo. We are moms, we want what is good for babies, for all babies. Prenatal blood work covers many bases disease wise and my care providers have been happy to provide me copies free of charge.

merritt said...

Are you sure it wasn't a drug deal going down in that parking lot? Because I'm pretty sure my husband thought it was.

Great friend, EMU.