Sunday, August 19, 2012

Happy Weekend, Happy Faces

After two mildly frustrating and super emotional weeks... y'all, I seriously had a great weekend. Sometimes lots of things just go right, yknow?

We went night swimming. If there's one thing better than floating in the sunshine, it's laughing and splashing with friends in turquoisey weirdly lit water after nightfall.

I cooked something I've never made before (veggie lasagna), combining recipes and inventing along the way, and it totally worked. I love it when that happens.

Nathan and I picked out a school backpack for kindergarten (and beyond!) and he is adorably excited. (Maybe me too. Maybe.)

In other cooking news, I also tried a new cookie recipe (with browned butter! and pretzels! and sea salt!) and it was a complete and utter failure but NO MATTER because there was lots of laughing. So I will take it.

I took the kids grocery shopping, at dinner time, and no one had a breakdown. In fact, they were giggly and fun the whole time. (I KNOW.)

Also, I managed without Charlotte's bucket seat, so yay progress.

I had a night out on the town with my two best people. Mark and Another Nathan and I had the last-minute idea to go downtown and see Avenue Q which was exactly as irreverent and funny as we had hoped. And then we had Krispy Kreme afterwards.

And even though I'm their bad-idea bear, wanting to go out when they both had early work days on Sunday, we had so much fun and we all totally needed it.

A weekend full of the happy faces of the people I love most? Cut to me going to bed completely and uncomplicatedly happy.

2 comments:

marmie said...

Wonderful!!!
And I take your experimenting with new recipes and inventing recipes as a sign of happy normalcy.

merritt said...

Hooray for happy weekends! Love that for you.