Monday, July 8, 2013

VCS: Kindergarten Zebras

Hey while I am catching up on blogging I should totally tell about our VCS week even though it was almost a month ago. (Our church calls it VCS instead of VBS because we can't just... name things like everyone else. I'd give you ten more examples but I'm already bored of talking about it so just take my word for it.)

So, VCS. The popular thing (at least among my own lovely circle of internet friends) seems to be using vbs weeks for a break in the summer where the kids are covered and at-home parents get to relax at home in the sweet sweet air conditioning. And I will do that! I have big plans for that! When they are all old enough to go. But for now, the girls aren't (yes, even Anneliese, who is just a few months shy of four but is still "a two" as far as the school year is concerned) so I figure these are good years to throw myself into the volunteering effort since there are nurseries for the littlest ones whose parents are there helping. 

I have done a variety of helps over the past few years (food, nurseries, music, etc) but this year I wanted to teach (for some reason?) (oh right because I love five-year-olds #fiveforever) so I took on a class of kindergartners (including Nathan! they gave us the option to teach our own kids or not, and I thought with him it'd be fine, and it was) with my sweet friend Jeanine -- who besides being really good at karaoke, which is a skill only sometimes useful at vcs, is a preschool teacher by trade. Because I am no dummy when it comes to picking people to work with. She is smart. And fun. And can whip out an art project or game faster than I can stand there slack-jawed and try to fumble for the camera to capture her craft time wizardry.

I digress.

So, teaching. It was lovely. The curriculum (about a world's fair, teaching a "neighborly" trait every day with a scripture story to go with it, and a neighbor country to learn about alongside) seemed random to me at first but then came together beautifully.

And our class was crazydorable:
We had a great youth helper too!
 
neighborly kids -- washing each other's feet and role-playing the good Samaritan
a craft of Japanese cherry blossoms, and making ourselves
into zebras from Zimbabwe -- there were lots of kindergartners,
but our class was the only class of zebras!
special snack on the last day

I am told frequently (like, whenever I go out in public with all three of my kids) how alike they look. I guess when they're wearing the same clothes, I can kind of see it?

Anyway yeah VCS. That was fun.

1 comment:

Dot Waugaman said...

How about that! Our church has used the same curriculum this year. I got to be the widow (with Elijah) and Paul got to be Zaccheus. I also helped check kids in and out. So, I had some involvement, but got to go home and do part of my exercise class as well. Luckily, if I haven’t told you already, our house is about 3.5 blocks from the church. Of course, Hailey was in VBS (we stuck with the old name), but as I told you in my newsy note last night, Andrew was at a gaming camp (which I haven’t heard too much about yet).