Sunday, February 17, 2008

Riddle Me This

Tomorrow is a holiday: President's Day. Not a fun holiday, but a holiday nonetheless. Federal, even. Banks will be closed. We will not have mail delivery or trash and recycling pickup. Public transportation will operate on limited holiday schedules. Road construction will cease for the day. Wake County Schools will be closed. Wake County libraries will be closed.

And I have jury duty. Where? You guessed it... the Wake County courthouse.

I'm hoping this will only take a day - first, because it messes my milk up to be away from Nathan for more than a couple days in a row (by the way, think they'll let me bring my pump into the courthouse? or will they think it's a weapon of some sort?).... Second, because I will be anxious at the end of the day to take my $12 and get the heck out of town. I am long overdue for a trim and highlights (since last May, people!) so I need to be in Huntersville Tuesday morning.

Off to do my civic duty...

5 comments:

Kelley C said...

I wonder what kind of case you'll get!!!

When we went to the American embassy in delhi, I had to leave my travel pump at the check in desk b/c it had batteries in it. What kind of pump do you have? I have to get a new one.

merritt said...

Bummer about the jury duty. Last year I was so excited when Brett had his government job because I thought he'd get all these great federal holidays. Turns out that if the judge wants to work (and his always did), then the clerks get to work, too. You are clearly going in for a bunch of over-achieving, workaholic judges...:)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

I had a friend that just brought her baby with her and fed her baby right there ;) haha!
I'm guessing that unless it's a manuel pump you're going to have problems getting it in there... :) Have fun!

Erin G said...

yeah, I would have brought Nathan with me, SAR, but they put NO CHILDREN ALLOWED all over the place on my summons paperwork. They didn't seem to care that I am an at-home mom who doesn't have childcare - but Mark could stay home for the day, so it worked out. I figured since it's never convenient, might as well do it now and be done for 2 years!

Yes, they did let me bring my pump in (medela electric, Kelley), and they even gave me a private room with an electric socket to pump in, and also offered me the use of the jury clerk's fridge as well (but I had a cooler, so I didn't need it). NC has very good pro-breastfeeding laws, apparently. They were very nice about it.

I did get called into a courtroom for what they were anticipating would be a 4-5 WEEK trial. But the prosecuting attorney (our local DA) is a friend from church, so I was dismissed with cause, without even having to answer any questions (he must have flagged my name... it would make sense that they have the lawyers run by the juror list). Nice. I dodged a bullet. I couldn't have done it anyway, and I'm glad I didn't have to argue my way out of it!

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you and Nathan! Glad to know he finally got a good night's sleep. Rita and I did too. :-)

I love you both and can't wait till I can babysit again!

Love,
Ashley